Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology in many particle systems

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    Interesting notes, but what exactly do you need help with? You have to be more specific.

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    i basically have no bakground regarding topology thats why i cannot understand even from start:frown:like i dont know what hessian matrix is?
    its diagnolization etc.
    i started reading these notes many times but coudnt get any thing:cry:
    what to do ?

5. Sep 4, 2009 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

Well, do you know what a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian_matrix_and_determinant" [Broken] is? This isn't topology, it's multi-variable calculus. It's the matrix of the partial derivatives of one set of coordinates with respect to another set of coordinates. (see link for examples)

A Hessian matrix is the same thing, just for the second-order derivatives.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 4, 2009 #5
    :cry: buttttttttttttttttttttt what about rest of the notes?
    :confused:

7. Sep 4, 2009 #6

alxm

Science Advisor

Honestly, I think you're out of your league with those lecture notes. If you get stuck in the second paragraph of the first page on 'mathematical preliminaries' (things you should already know before taking that course), then you're simply not ready for it.

Specifically, multi-variable calculus (which covers Hessians) is first or second-year stuff for a physics undergrad, whereas those lecture notes are for a graduate course.

Nobody is going to even attempt to explain an entire course on a message board. And asking to fill in several years of missing prerequisite knowledge is just absurd.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #7
    That said, I like these notes. Who wrote them? Are there more where these came from?

9. Sep 5, 2009 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

I googled the info at the top of the notes - it's Joel Moore at UC Berkeley.

There are a few more on the Physics 250 site.

10. Sep 5, 2009 #9
    Link:
    http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~jemoore/Physics_250.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook