Improving Torque Data Signal with Digital Filtering

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a torque sensor to measure the torque and speed of a three phase brushless motor. The data acquisition results show a messy torque signal and the speaker is looking for advice on how to improve it, possibly through signal processing steps such as using a digital filter. The speaker also mentions that the torque curve does not reflect the current curve.
Trainee28
Hello,

I have a three phase brushless motor and was trying to measure its torque and speed using a torque sensor. The motor will first go to its maximum speed which is about 6000RPM, then I applied a brake to decrease its velocity. Here is what I get as a result of data acquisition :
upload_2015-7-3_11-41-17.png

The problem is that the torque signal looks kinda mess up. I wish to get a signal as nice as the RPM. Does anyone know how can this be done? Some kind of signal processing steps?

Please help me.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-3_11-34-59.png
    upload_2015-7-3_11-34-59.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 476
Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems that you are measuring the torque after the brake. The curve for the torque does not reflect the curve for the current.
Trainee28 said:
I wish to get a signal as nice as the RPM. Does anyone know how can this be done? Some kind of signal processing steps?
If the data are sampled digitally, you can insert a digital filter ( z-transform ) like for example:

H(z) = 0.01z2 / ( ( z - 0.9 ) ( z - 0.9 ) ) = 0.01z2 / ( z2 - 1.8z + 0.81 )

( The amplification = 0.01 / ( 1 - 0.9 )2 = 1 )

You can put your already sampled data through such a filter and redraw the result.

Last edited:

Related to Improving Torque Data Signal with Digital Filtering

1. What is torque data signal processing?

Torque data signal processing is a method used to analyze and interpret the rotational force (torque) applied to a system. It involves collecting, filtering, and analyzing data to determine the magnitude, direction, and frequency of torque signals.

2. What are the applications of torque data signal processing?

Torque data signal processing has various applications in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is used for quality control, performance evaluation, and fault detection of rotating machinery and systems.

3. How is torque data signal processed?

Torque data signal processing involves several steps, including data collection, filtering, and analysis. The data is first collected using sensors, then filtered to remove noise and unwanted signals. Finally, various mathematical and statistical techniques are used to analyze the data and extract useful information.

4. What are the challenges in torque data signal processing?

One of the main challenges in torque data signal processing is dealing with noise and interference, as these can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. Additionally, the complexity of the signals and the need for specialized equipment and techniques can also pose challenges.

5. How is torque data signal processing beneficial?

Torque data signal processing can provide valuable insights into the performance and health of rotating systems. By analyzing torque signals, engineers can detect abnormalities, diagnose issues, and optimize the design and operation of machinery, leading to improved efficiency and reliability.