Torque Direction: Right-Hand Rule & Gyroscopic Effects

In summary: So, in summary, torque has a direction that is not simply the direction of rotation and can be determined using the right-hand rule. The direction of the torque does not necessarily correspond to the direction of rotation, and it depends on the moment of inertia tensor. Torque and angular momentum are related, with torque being the force that causes a change in angular momentum. Gyroscopes work by utilizing the principle of angular momentum and torque.
robbertypob
Hi

I've been learning about angular momentum and torque, and today I learned that torque actually has a direction that is not simply the direction of rotation.

I saw about the right-hand rule to establish which direction the torque is going in.

My question is - if an object is rotating, will it naturally want to travel in the direction of the torque generated? Is that how gyroscopes work?

Another question is what is the difference between torque and angular momentum? Does angular momentum generate torque?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
robbertypob said:
My question is - if an object is rotating, will it naturally want to travel in the direction of the torque generated?

No, this depends on the moment of inertia tensor. It is only true if the torque is directed along one of the eigenvectors of the moment of inertia.

robbertypob said:
Another question is what is the difference between torque and angular momentum? Does angular momentum generate torque?
The relation is the same as the relation between force and linear momentum, with the torque playing the role of the force and the angular momentum playing the role of the linear momentum. The role of the mass is played by the moment of inertia tensor.

Likes robbertypob
robbertypob said:
##τ=\vec{r}x\vec{F}## and ##τ=d\vec{L}/dt## so time derivative of angular momentum is torque.

Likes robbertypob
Thank you. So if the object doesn't actually travel in the direction of the torque then when does the torque direction become relevant? Does the direction have any effect on anything?

On the second point - is the angular momentum actually generating torque on the axil? Would we say that? There must be torque present but how would we say it is generated?

robbertypob said:
So if the object doesn't actually travel in the direction of the torque then when does the torque direction become relevant?
The torque is always relevant. An unbalanced torque will lead to angular acceleration just as an unbalanced force will lead to acceleration.

robbertypob said:
Does the direction have any effect on anything?
Yes, it determines the direction of the angular acceleration (together with the moment of inertia tensor).

robbertypob said:
On the second point - is the angular momentum actually generating torque on the axil? Would we say that?
No, it is the other way around. An applied torque implies a change in the angular momentum. There is no need for a torque to be present in general, it just means the angular momentum is not changing.

Likes robbertypob
Orodruin said:
The torque is always relevant. An unbalanced torque will lead to angular acceleration just as an unbalanced force will lead to acceleration.

Yes, it determines the direction of the angular acceleration (together with the moment of inertia tensor).

Imagining a bicycle wheel moving forward, from the perspective of the cyclist and using the right-hand rule, the direction of the torque would be to the left, correct? But the rider doesn't feel a sensation of being 'pulled' to the left by the torque. How can this be? Is there an opposing force balancing the wheel?

robbertypob said:
Imagining a bicycle wheel moving forward, from the perspective of the cyclist and using the right-hand rule, the direction of the torque would be to the left, correct?

Unless the bicycle is accelerating, there is no net torque on the wheel as it maintains constant angular momentum. I believe you are mixing angular momentum and torque.

robbertypob said:
But the rider doesn't feel a sensation of being 'pulled' to the left by the torque. How can this be? Is there an opposing force balancing the wheel?

A torque is not a force. In fact, it is also not a vector but a pseudo vector, i.e., it does not change sign under reflections.

robbertypob said:
Hi

I've been learning about angular momentum and torque, and today I learned that torque actually has a direction that is not simply the direction of rotation.

I saw about the right-hand rule to establish which direction the torque is going in.

My question is - if an object is rotating, will it naturally want to travel in the direction of the torque generated? Is that how gyroscopes work?

Thanks!

The "direction" is just the direction of the rotation axis. It is perpendicular to the rotation. Mathematically, it falls out of the definition of torque, the cross product of the force vector and the radius vector.

A torque acting over time = a change in angular momentum
the time rate of change of angular momentum = torque

What is torque direction?

Torque direction refers to the direction in which a force is applied to an object in order to produce rotation. It is determined by the direction of the force and the position of the object's pivot point.

What is the right-hand rule?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of a force or torque by using your right hand. If you point your thumb in the direction of the force and curl your fingers in the direction of rotation, your fingers will point in the direction of the torque.

How is the right-hand rule used in torque direction?

In torque direction, the right-hand rule is used to determine the direction of the torque vector. By pointing your thumb in the direction of the force and curling your fingers in the direction of rotation, you can determine the direction of the torque vector.

What is the gyroscopic effect?

The gyroscopic effect is the phenomenon where an object's rotation causes it to resist changes in its orientation. This effect is often seen in spinning objects, such as a gyroscope, and can be used for stabilization in various applications.

How does the gyroscopic effect affect torque direction?

The gyroscopic effect can affect torque direction by causing a precession, where the direction of the applied force is changed by the rotation of the object. This can result in a change in the direction of the torque vector, which must be taken into account when using the right-hand rule.