Torque Equation about a point other than point of rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular acceleration using the torque equation and whether it remains the same when applied to a point other than the point of rotation. The use of the Parallel Axis Theorem is mentioned to calculate the Moment of Inertia about a parallel axis. The experts clarify that angular acceleration and velocity do not depend on a specific point of the body, and provide the formula for calculating torque. The consideration of linear momentum in rolling is also mentioned.
ovais
Hello all,

These days I am studying rotation and rolling of bodies. We know a body can be made to rotate about any point. Let's assume that an external force is acting on the rotating body fixed about the point of rotation, and this force made the body rotates faster that is its torque produces an angular acceleration in the body. And the calculation of angular acceleration(about the point of rotation) is easy to calculate using torque equation which says torque(in magnitude) equals magnitude of moment of inertia(about point of rotation) times angular acceleration of body about point of rotation (in magnitude).

I wonder if the torque equation work if I choose to quantify torque about some (new) point other than the point about which the body is actually rotating and plug it in, to find the angular acceleration about that new point? I mean do torque equation remains same about any general point or in Physics do we always need to use torque equation only about the point about which the body is actually rotating?

Regards
Thanks a bunch :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is the Parallel Axis Theorem to help you (here) it will tell you the Moment of Inertia about any axis parallel to the one you start with through the CM. Then you find the value of torque round that axis and Bob's your Uncle.

sophiecentaur said:
What you need is the Parallel Axis Theorem to help you (here) it will tell you the Moment of Inertia about any axis parallel to the one you start with through the CM. Then you find the value of torque round that axis and Bob's your Uncle.

I have no problem in using in parallel axis theorm, however what I fear is that taking torque( F* perpendicular distance) and angular acceleration about a point other than the axis of rotation, would make equation inconsistent, since(as what I am thinking) the angular acceleration of the different points of the body will not come same and uniform. I am saying this based on the basic fundamentals which I study in the beginning of the lesson which says all points of the body will have the same angular velocity and same angular acceleration (if it exist)about the axis of rotation but angular velocity and angular acceleration of different points of the body will have different values if they are measured not about the actual point (or axis) of rotation.
So their is problem: in torque equation which points angular acceleration should we use as the angular acceleration the different points is different.

Thanks

Angular acceleration of the body as well as its angular velocity do not depend on a point of the body. There are two commonly used versions of
torque equation. Let a point ##A## be either a fixed point of the body or its center of mass then
$$J_A\dot{\boldsymbol\omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol \omega=\boldsymbol M_A\qquad (*)$$
here ##J_A## is the inertia tensor about the point ##A## and ##\boldsymbol M_A## is the torque about the point ##A##. Formula (*) does not hold for arbitrary point ##A##

Last edited:
ovais said:
I have no problem in using in parallel axis theorm, however what I fear is that taking torque( F* perpendicular distance) and angular acceleration about a point other than the axis of rotation, would make equation inconsistent, since(as what I am thinking) the angular acceleration of the different points of the body will not come same and uniform. I am saying this based on the basic fundamentals which I study in the beginning of the lesson which says all points of the body will have the same angular velocity and same angular acceleration (if it exist)about the axis of rotation but angular velocity and angular acceleration of different points of the body will have different values if they are measured not about the actual point (or axis) of rotation.
So their is problem: in torque equation which points angular acceleration should we use as the angular acceleration the different points is different.

Thanks
If there's rolling then you need to consider the linear momentum too. But I think that just requires another equation.

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is represented by the symbol "τ" and is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

2. Can torque be calculated at a point other than the point of rotation?

Yes, torque can be calculated at any point along the axis of rotation. This is known as the torque equation about a point other than the point of rotation. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the object.

3. How is torque calculated at a point other than the point of rotation?

The torque equation about a point other than the point of rotation is τ = F x r x sin(θ), where F is the force applied, r is the distance from the point of rotation to the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the line connecting the point of rotation to the force.

4. What is the significance of the angle θ in the torque equation?

The angle θ represents the direction of the force relative to the line connecting the point of rotation to the force. This angle is important because it determines the lever arm, or the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. The greater the lever arm, the greater the torque.

5. How is torque affected by changing the distance from the point of rotation to the force?

The torque equation shows that torque is directly proportional to the distance from the point of rotation to the force. This means that increasing the distance increases the torque, while decreasing the distance decreases the torque. This is because a longer lever arm allows for a greater force to be exerted on the object, resulting in a greater torque.