Solving Force and Torque Equations for A and B

In summary, the sign with weight 800 N is hung from point B at the end of a uniform hoizontal rod of weight 300 N, and the cable makes a 42 degree angle with the rod. The rod is attached to the vertical wall by a hinge at point A. The supporting cable is attached to the rod at B and to the wall at C. The cable makes a total of 90 degrees with the rod. The weight of the sign is enough to create a negative torque of -1100 N, which is enough to support the sign and keep it from breaking.
TheNormalForc
A sign with weight 800 N is hung from point B at the end of a uniform hoizontal rod of weight 300 N as diagrammed below. The rod is attached to the vertical wall by a hinge at point A. The supporting cable is attached to the rod at B and to the wall at C. The cable makes a 42 degree angle with the rod.

A.Find the magnitude of the total force R exerted on the hinge at point A. note that the total force has both horizontal and vertical components.

B.The Cable has a tensile strength of 3216N. Find the minimum possible angle that the cable can make with the rod if it is to support the rod and sign without breaking.

Torque=Fsin(theta)r

I know exactly how to do A. I describe the torque equation, equal to zero and solve for P, and then use that to find Rx and Ry, and then R itself. But to create a valid equation I need to know the length of the bar, don't I? It's really confounded me.

B has stumped me completely.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheNormalForc said:
But to create a valid equation I need to know the length of the bar, don't I?
Do you? Call the length L and see what happens.

Then...

Torque= (Tsin42)(L) - (1100)(L)=0

I need to know either the tension or the length.

TheNormalForc said:
Then...

Torque= (Tsin42)(L) - (1100)(L)=0
That equation is not quite right. Where does the weight of the rod act?
I need to know either the tension or the length.
No you don't. Simplify that equation.

The weight act normal to the bottom of the rod, producing a negative torque, which is why I put it in my equation. Is that not correct?

TheNormalForc said:
The weight act normal to the bottom of the rod, producing a negative torque, which is why I put it in my equation. Is that not correct?
What's the torque due to the weight of the rod? Where along the rod does the weight act?

In the center in at the very right. I suppose if I change the axis of roation to the right side, the equation would be Torque=Ry(L)-300(L/2), but that gets me no where.

Yes, the weight of the rod acts at the center of the rod (the rod's center of mass). But you don't have to change your axis of rotation.

There are two forces creating negative torque: the weight of the sign (800 N) and the weight of the rod (300 N). Since those forces act at different points, figure out the torque they produce separately (then add them up to get the total, of course).

1. What is the purpose of solving force and torque equations for A and B?

Solving force and torque equations for A and B allows us to determine the forces and torques acting on an object or system. This information is crucial in understanding and predicting the motion and stability of the object or system.

2. How do I solve force and torque equations for A and B?

To solve force and torque equations for A and B, you will need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and torque. First, identify all the forces and torques acting on the object or system. Then, set up and solve the equations based on these forces and torques. Finally, use algebra and trigonometry to find the values of A and B.

3. What are the units of A and B in force and torque equations?

The units of A and B will depend on the specific force and torque equations being solved. However, in general, A and B will have units of force (such as Newtons or pounds) and torque (such as Newton-meters or pound-feet), respectively.

4. Can force and torque equations for A and B be applied to all situations?

No, force and torque equations for A and B are specifically designed for systems that are in equilibrium. This means that the net forces and torques acting on the object or system are equal to zero. If the system is not in equilibrium, more complex equations and principles may need to be applied.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving force and torque equations for A and B?

Solving force and torque equations for A and B is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and biomechanics. Some examples of real-world applications include analyzing the forces and torques acting on a bridge to ensure its stability, calculating the forces and torques on a human body during physical activity, and designing machines and structures to withstand specific forces and torques.