Torque/Intertia: Balancing a Tire

• Thread starter Wobble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire
In summary: I'm thinking that I want this.In summary, the homework statement is discussing homework equations, angular momentum, and the attempt at a solution. Right now, the expert is working on part a of the solution. They were thinking about how to find the center of mass of an object and then find the axis of rotation. Part B is still unknown to the expert, but they think it will involve solving an equation relating the radius of a perfect tire to its speed. Part C asks for both force and frequency. The frequency of rotation of the tire is unknown, but the expert is thinking that they want this.
Wobble

Homework Statement

quiz5physics.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]= r x F = I*[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Angular Momentum
L= r x p = r x mv = r x mr[tex]\omega[/tex] = mr2 * [tex]\omega[/tex]2

editediteditediteditediteditediteditediteditediteditediteditedit
This formatting looks weird. It should be r^2 *(omega)^2

and I*(alpha for the next part)

editeditediteditediteditediteditediteditediteditedit

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I'm working on part a

I was thinking the I[tex]\alpha[/tex] of each wheel would give me the center of mass
Torque = I \alpha + I\alpha
but I don't have an acceleration value, and that won't give me where the center of mass. I think I need to find the center of mass first, and then figure out how adding the mass to one wheel will change the axis of rotation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, figure out the center of mass first. Find the combined center of mass of the "perfect tire" of mass M and the extra mass m. (Where's the center of mass of the "perfect tire" by itself?)

Well for the center of mass of the tire, I don't really have a radius for it?

The mass m is 1 ft away from the center of the tire, but how far away is mass M from the center of the tire? Do I use 1 ft for it a well?

But then I would get (M+m)/(M+m) which is just 1...

([tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr)/([tex]\Sigma[/tex]m)

is the center of mass equation, with just a general m and r in there

Last edited:
Well, I could say that the perfect tire's R for the center of mass equation is 0, and that would just give me 0 as the center of mass. Then the center of mass for the two objects would be:

(M*0+m*R)/(M+m)
and that would give me my new center of mass, which would be the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation

I'm not sure how to continue with part B though.

Wobble said:
Well, I could say that the perfect tire's R for the center of mass equation is 0, and that would just give me 0 as the center of mass. Then the center of mass for the two objects would be:

(M*0+m*R)/(M+m)
and that would give me my new center of mass, which would be the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation
Good.

I'm not sure how to continue with part B though.
The center of mass moves in a circle, so what's its acceleration?

Torque= R cross F= I times alpha

Alpha is then a/R. But I need a velocity in there somehow to solve part C. 50mph isn't an angular velocity, nor does a/R contain velocity in it.

How do I account for the change in the center of mass? Its going to involve my answer to A somehow, which I got to be a really small number. Is it just 1 + this number?

edit: I need a way to relate a/R to linear velocity

Last edited:
Parts A, B, and C have nothing to do with torque.

To solve B, think of all the mass being located at the center of mass. Thus the mass is rotating in a circle of known radius (from part A). What force must be exerted to make it go in a circle? (Hint: Centripetal.)

Looking a wikipedia

1. (2piR)/V=T

2. (2piV)/a=T

3. a=(v^2)/R

and for it in radians per second
4. omega=2pi/T

So do I just want equation 3, substitute it into F=ma,

and get (M+m)(v^2/R)=answer for C?

It says "frequency of the vibration" though, which doesn't sound like a force answer

edit:
Well now I see omega=2pi/T=V/R <--- is that all I need? I feel like I need to take this and substitute it into something else

edit2:
http://www.phy.cmich.edu/people/andy/Physics110/Book/Chapters/Chapter6_files/image054.gif

I'm thinkin that I want this.

I'm not sure how to use R though. Is it just simply my answer for part A, or is it 1 +/- my answer in part A? (Which I got to be 3/803)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wobble said:
So do I just want equation 3, substitute it into F=ma,

and get (M+m)(v^2/R)=answer for C?
Yes, where v is the tangential speed of the center of mass and R is the distance from the axis to the center of mass.

It says "frequency of the vibration" though, which doesn't sound like a force answer
Part C asks for both force and frequency. What's the frequency of rotation of the tire?

Related to Torque/Intertia: Balancing a Tire

What is torque and how does it relate to balancing a tire?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. In the context of balancing a tire, torque is important because it determines the amount of weight needed to be added or removed from the tire to achieve balance.

What is inertia and why is it important in balancing a tire?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. In balancing a tire, it is important because it determines how much the tire will resist changes in its rotation, which affects its balance.

How is torque and inertia measured and calculated in tire balancing?

Torque is typically measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters or foot-pounds. Inertia is measured in units of mass multiplied by distance squared, such as kilogram-meters squared or pound-feet squared. These values are calculated using specific formulas and can also be measured using specialized equipment.

What are the consequences of an unbalanced tire in terms of torque and inertia?

An unbalanced tire can lead to uneven distribution of weight around the tire, causing it to vibrate or wobble while in motion. This can affect the torque and inertia of the tire, leading to increased wear and tear on the tire and potentially causing damage to the vehicle's suspension or steering components.

How does balancing a tire affect overall vehicle performance?

Balancing a tire ensures that the weight is evenly distributed around the tire, reducing vibration and improving overall stability and handling. This can lead to a smoother ride and better fuel efficiency. It also helps to prevent premature wear and tear on the tire and other vehicle components.