1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque- rigid objects in equalibrium/ center of gravity. need help

1. Dec 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform door(.81m wide and 2.1m high) weighs 140N and is hung on two hinges that fasten the long left side of the door to a vertical wall. The hinges are 2.1m apart. Assume that the lower hinge bears all the weight of the door. Find the magnitude and direction of the horizontal component of the force applied to the door by a) the upper hinge and the lower hinge. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force applied by the door to b) the upper hinge and the lower hinge.

Fg = 140 N

2. Relevant equations
    ƩT = F L
    am stuck on how the torque equation applies to this problem

3. The attempt at a solution
    i drew the diagram of the door and the hinges spaced 2.01 m apart.
    I think you have to make the pivot point/axle point at the bottom hinge

sum of the verticle forces = weight of the door, im assuming this.
    Am not sure how to even begin this question. but do i start to make x components at the hinges?

any advice would be helpfull.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello utnip. Welcome to PF !

Assume that gravity acts downward on the door at its center. That will produce a torque about the hinges. Find the torque about the lower hinge.

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3
    See image below

Attached Files:

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4
    but where is your axis on the door?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook