1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsion pendulum

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the experiment, you will study an oscillator called a "torsion pendulum." In this case, the restoring "force" is the torsion constant of the wire that suspends the weight X and the inertial term is the rotational inertia of the suspended mass. You will compare the periods of a suspended sphere and of a suspended cube. The rotational inertia of a sphere is Is = 110msD2 where ms is the mass of the sphere and D is its diameter. The rotational inertia of a cube is Ic = 61mcS2 where mc is the mass of the cube and S is the length of its side. If the cube and the sphere are suspended from the same wire, what is the expected ratio of their periods, Tc/Ts?
    Assume that D = S
    ms = 020kg
    and mc = 12 kg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty lost with this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    I wonder why they gave those moments of inertia. the real values are

[tex] I_s = \frac { m_s d^2 } {10} [/tex]

and

[tex] I_c = \frac { m_c s^2 } {6} [/tex]

Do you know the solution of a simple harmonic oscillator?

[tex] F = m\frac {d^2x}{dt^2} = - k x [/tex]

you don't know the torsion constant, but because you only need the ratio of the periods
    that isn't a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook