Torsion problem for strenght of materials help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the torque of a motor is calculated and used in equations to solve for the diameter of a shaft. A conversion mistake is pointed out and the correct calculations are given, resulting in a final answer of 1.72 inches for the radius of the shaft.
duffman1278

Homework Statement

question2.jpg

Homework Equations

tao=Tc/J
theta=TL/JG

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the torque of the motor as 210,085lb-in
Then I converted the 4* to .698 rad

From there I plugged it into the equations. I solved for T from tao=Tc/J then plugged that T into the theta=TLJG and put everything else in there.

When I did that I got a diameter of 3.44" or 1.72" radius. I don't get what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
duffman1278: Conversion mistake; 4 deg is not 0.698 rad. Also, generally always maintain four (or
five) significant digits throughout all your intermediate calculations, then round only the final answer
to three significant digits, unless the final answer begins with 1, in which case round the final answer
to four significant digits.

Initially compute T from the given data, at which point T is known, not an unknown. Do not solve for
T in the stress nor deflection equation; solve for d. The unknown is d. Try it again.

The 4 degree's I put on here was just a type-o this is what I got when I redid it.

[tex]\phi[/tex]= .069813
T(shaft)= 52,521.1312 lb-in
G= 12x106
[tex]\tau[/tex]= 12,000psi
L= 120"

I solved for T as you said in which I got

T=[tex]\stackrel{\tau*J}{c}[/tex]

I then plugged that T into the [tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\stackrel{TL}{JG}[/tex]

That then gave me [tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\stackrel{L\tau}{Gc}[/tex]

I solved for "c" which would be the radius and it gave me 1.72 or 3.43in still.

The answer for T is already given in the third line of post 3. Don't solve
for T again after that; just use it in your other equations thereafter to
solve for d (or c).

I love you! omfg this stupid problem was so easy the entire time.

1. What is torsion and how does it affect the strength of materials?

Torsion is a type of force that causes twisting or rotation in an object. It affects the strength of materials by putting stress on the material in a spiral motion, which can lead to deformation or failure if the material is not able to withstand it.

2. How is torsion problem for strength of materials solved?

Torsion problems for strength of materials can be solved by using equations and principles from mechanics, such as the torsion equation and torsion stress formula. These equations take into account factors such as the material properties, geometry, and applied torque to determine the maximum stress and deformation of the material.

3. Can torsion problem for strength of materials be prevented?

Torsion problems for strength of materials can be prevented by using materials with high torsional strength, such as steel or titanium, and by designing structures with proper reinforcement and support to handle torsional forces. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential torsion problems before they become a major issue.

4. What are some real-life examples of torsion problem for strength of materials?

Some real-life examples of torsion problems for strength of materials include the twisting of a bridge due to strong winds, the rotation of an engine crankshaft, and the deformation of a bicycle wheel when a rider applies torque to the pedals. Torsion can also be a factor in the failure of structures such as skyscrapers and bridges.

5. How does the shape and size of an object affect its torsional strength?

The shape and size of an object can greatly affect its torsional strength. Objects with larger cross-sectional areas are generally stronger against torsion than objects with smaller cross-sectional areas. Additionally, objects with circular or symmetrical shapes are able to distribute torsional forces more evenly, making them more resistant to torsion compared to irregularly shaped objects.