Total charge from charge density (spherical coordinates)

In summary: Please tell me if im incorrect on this or if there is a different way to do this.In summary, the electric field is k r^2 in spherical coordinates, where k is a constant. The charge density is found to be \rho = \epsilon( \vec{r}) and the total charge is found to be Q_e = \epsilon_0 k r^2 4\pi R^2.
bfusco

Homework Statement

In some region of space, the electric field is [itex] \vec{E} =k r^2 \hat{r} [/itex], in spherical coordinates, where k is a constant.
(a) Use Gauss' law (differential form) to find the charge density [itex] \rho (\vec{r}) [/itex].

(b) Use Gauss' law (integral form) to find the total charge containted in a sphere of radius R, centered at r=0

(c) Find the total charge contained in a sphere of radius R, centered at r=0 by direct integration of your result for [itex] \rho (\vec{r}) [/itex] in (a). Does the answer agree with that in (b)?

The Attempt at a Solution

NOTE: IM USING [itex] \Delta [/itex] as the del operator

Im pretty sure my problems only arise on part (c), but if any error is noticed in the other parts please tell me. Thank you

(a)using [tex] \vec{ \Delta} \bullet \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]
rearranging it to solve for [itex] \rho [/itex] i get [tex] \rho = \epsilon( \vec{\Delta} \bullet \vec{E}) [/tex] where [tex] \epsilon( \vec{\Delta} \bullet \vec{E}) = \frac{\epsilon_0}{r^2} \frac{d(r^2 k r^2)}{dr}[/tex] which reduces to [tex] \frac{r}{\pi} [/tex]

(b) using [tex] \oint \Delta \bullet d\vec{a} = \frac{Q_e}{\epsilon_0} [/tex] and rearranging to solve for Q_e i get [tex] Q_e=\epsilon_0 \oint \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{a} [/tex], which since the sphere is symmetric about the origin i can do [tex] \epsilon_0 \oint |\vec{E}| d\vec{a} [/tex], which equals [tex] \epsilon_0 k r^2 4\pi R^2 [/tex] which reduces to [tex] R^4 [/tex] (note: i replaced [itex] r^2 [/itex] with [itex] R^2 [/itex])

(c) knowing [itex] \rho = \frac{dq}{dV} [/itex] and reorganizing to solve for dq i get [itex] \int dq = \int \rho(\vec{r}) dV [/itex] at this point I am a little confused on how to take the integral with respect to dV in spherical coordinates. I am pretty sure i have to add an [itex] r^2 [/itex] in the integrand but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] dV = r^2 \sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]

bfusco said:
NOTE: IM USING [itex] \Delta [/itex] as the del operator

Don't! To most people,
[tex]\Delta = \nabla^2[/tex]

Since you're using tex, just use \nabla for the del operator.

phyzguy said:
Don't! To most people,
[tex]\Delta = \nabla^2[/tex]

Since you're using tex, just use \nabla for the del operator.

lol ok, i didnt know that

test [itex] \nabla [/itex]

Bryson said:
[itex] dV = r^2 \sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]

alright so since non of these variables have any unit vector other than [itex] \hat{r} [/itex] the [itex] r^2 sin\theta =0 [/itex] ?? at which point the integral will be [tex] \oint \frac{r}{\pi} dr [/tex]
which is [tex] \frac{r^2}{2\pi} [/tex] which doesn't match part (b), and therefore i am incorrect somewhere.

1. What is total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates?

Total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates refers to the calculation of the total electric charge contained within a spherical region using the charge density function. This function describes how the charge is distributed throughout the space.

2. How is the charge density function defined in spherical coordinates?

The charge density function in spherical coordinates is defined as the amount of charge per unit volume at a given point in space. It is denoted by the symbol ρ and has units of coulombs per cubic meter.

3. What is the formula for calculating total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates?

The formula for calculating total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates is Q = ∫∫∫ρ(r) dV, where Q is the total charge, ρ(r) is the charge density function, and dV represents the differential volume element in spherical coordinates.

4. How does the charge distribution affect the total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates?

The charge distribution, or how the charge is distributed throughout the spherical region, directly affects the total charge. A more concentrated charge distribution will result in a higher total charge, while a more spread out distribution will result in a lower total charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates?

Calculating total charge from charge density in spherical coordinates is useful in various fields, such as electromagnetics, electrostatics, and astrophysics. It can be used to analyze the behavior of electric fields, design electronic circuits, and understand the distribution of charge in celestial bodies.