Total charge given potential V(r)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total charge given a potential function and using equations such as the gradient and Laplace operator to solve for the charge density. The correct formula for the charge density is ρ(r)=\frac{aQ}{2\pi r(a+r)^3}. The total charge can be found by integrating the charge density over the entire space or by using Gauss' law and taking the limit to infinity. The conversation also mentions using a Gaussian surface integral to find the total charge, but it is simpler in this case to just multiply the magnitude of the electric field by the surface area of a sphere of radius R.
Saraphim

Homework Statement

Given
[tex]V(r)=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r+a},[/tex]

find the total charge.

Homework Equations

[tex]\overline{E}=-\nabla V[/tex]
[tex]\rho=\epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \overline{E} [/tex]

[tex]\rho=-\epsilon_0 \nabla^2 V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by finding the charge density [tex]\rho[/tex] from [tex]\overline{E}[/tex], and I got the result:

[tex]\rho(r)=\frac{aQ}{2\pi r(a+r)^3}[/tex]

I might as well have gone with Poisson's equation to start with, but I didn't think of that.

I have, however, no idea how to proceed from here to find the TOTAL charge. I'm assuming I somehow have to integrate over some region (all of space?), but I don't know how to do it. Any pointers at setting up the integral would be appreciated. I should be able to handle it from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your ρ(r) is wrong. Do not forget that the Laplace operator is not simply the second derivative with respect to the radius.

If you have the proper formula for the charge density, you get the total charge by integrating to the whole space.

The other way is to find E and then applying Gauss' law.

ehild

ehild said:
Your ρ(r) is wrong. Do not forget that the Laplace operator is not simply the second derivative with respect to the radius.

I actually found [tex]\rho[/tex] by first getting the [tex]\overline{E}[/tex]-field from the potential and then using Gauss' law in differential form. I actually thought I had [tex]\rho[/tex] right, so I better figure that out before I try and find the total charge.

1. Finding [tex]\overline{E}[/tex]:
[tex]\overline{E} = -\nabla V[/tex]

The potential is constant to [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\Phi[/tex], so their partial derivatives drop out and I get:

[tex]\overline{E}= - \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\hat{r} = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{1}{(r+a)^2}\hat{r}[/tex]​

Is this correct? Assuming that...

2. Finding [tex]\rho[/tex]:

I utilize Gauss' law in differential form.

[tex]\rho=\epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \overline{E}=\epsilon_0 \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r^2 \frac{1}{(r+a)^2}\right)[/tex]

[tex] =\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{Q}{4\pi}\frac{2r(a+r)-2r^2}{(a+r)^3}=\frac{aQ}{2\pi r(a+r)^3}[/tex]
I went over it all again and I couldn't find the error. Could you give me a pointer?

Last edited:
Sorry, my derivation was wrong, yours is correct. Now integrate for a sphere of infinite radius.

ehild

Can you give me a pointer for setting up the relevant integral? The only thing I can think of is a triple integral where the relevant r-integral doesn't converge: [tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1}{r(a+r)^3}dr[/tex]

Last edited:
The total charge is the volume integral of the charge density:

[tex]Q_{total}=\int{\rho dV}[/tex]

Use the volume element for spherical coordinates.

ehild

Thanks a lot for your help! The total charge is Q. :-)

Well done! Just for fun, try it with the Gaussian surface integral of E.

ehild

ehild said:
Well done! Just for fun, try it with the Gaussian surface integral of E.

I get stuck doing that. I use Gauss' law in integral form and arrive at this:

[tex]Q_{total} = \epsilon_0 \oint_S \overline{E} \cdot d\overline{a}[/tex]

The field and area elements are everywhere parallel, so I can drop the directions and thus the dot product:

[tex]Q_{total} = \epsilon_0 \oint_S E da = \epsilon_0 \oint_S \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\frac{1}{(r+a)^2}da = \frac{Q}{4 \pi} \oint_S \frac{1}{(r+a)^2} da[/tex]

That's about as nice as it gets, I think, but I don't know how to evaluate that integral. I guess I have to expand it into a double integral somehow. But since the integral is over my gaussian surface, which is a sphere of constant radius, the double integrals should be with respect to [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex], but how do I get rid of the r's then?

Edit: I'm sure this has something to do with my gaussian surface being at infinity, but I can't see how to procede. If I just let the fraction tend to zero, I get the result that total charge is zero, which is obviously wrong.

You need to integrate for a sphere of radius R and then take the limit to R-->infinity. Note that a in da in your integral is not the same as the parameter a. Denote it dA instead. What is the surface element in spherical coordinates?
But it is simpler than that in this case.
As the magnitude of the electric field is constant on the surface of a central sphere, you get the integral just by multiplying E(R) with the surface area of the sphere of radius R, don't you?

ehild

What is total charge given potential V(r)?

Total charge given potential V(r) is a mathematical concept used in the field of electrostatics to describe the distribution of electric charge in a given space, represented by the function V(r). It determines the total amount of electric charge within a specific region, taking into account both the magnitude and distribution of the charge.

How is total charge given potential V(r) calculated?

The calculation of total charge given potential V(r) involves integrating the potential function V(r) over the entire region of interest. This integration process takes into account the distance from the source of the charge, as well as the magnitude and direction of the electric field at each point.

What is the relationship between total charge and potential in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, the total charge within a given region is directly proportional to the potential at any point within that region. This means that as the total charge increases, so does the potential, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the fundamental equation Q = CV, where Q is the total charge, C is a constant, and V is the potential.

Can the total charge given potential V(r) be negative?

Yes, the total charge given potential V(r) can be negative. This indicates that the charge distribution within the region is primarily negative, meaning there is an excess of electrons. In contrast, a positive total charge indicates an excess of protons and an overall positive charge distribution.

How is total charge given potential V(r) used in practical applications?

Total charge given potential V(r) is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the analysis of electric fields in materials, and the calculation of forces between charged particles. It is also an essential concept in the study of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric charges in various systems.