Total eclipse of the moon tonight.

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Moon
In summary, tonight's total eclipse is expected to completely darken the entire full moon. The eclipse will be quite late in the UK, around 3:00 - 4:00 GMT, and may not be visible due to cloudy weather. It will also be just at sunset on the US west coast, where overcast skies may hinder viewing. It is important to never look directly at the moon without protection, as one couple learned 20 years ago while gazing at the full moon and are now married with two kids. The eclipse will last a little over 2 hours and is predicted to begin at 8:45 pm in the People's Republic of Northern South Jersey, but the forecast is for
Moonbear said:
Ooh, this site is cool. Wish I had found it before the eclipse so I'd have known which constellations I was looking at around it.

http://shadowandsubstance.com/

Excellent site, MoonBear. That bit of animation explained a whole bunch of what I watched last night.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Grr... I need to get Photoshop. All I have is GIMP right now, but maybe it has that function. I just got it, so I'll have to look.

Great pictures christina!

Evo said:
Great pictures christina!

Thanks Evo :smile:

Here's the animation I made of the eclipse:

eclipse-ani.gif

Attachments

• eclipse-ani.gif
    eclipse-ani.gif
    209.2 KB · Views: 486
  • eclipse-ani.gif
    eclipse-ani.gif
    209.2 KB · Views: 419
  • eclipse-ani.gif
    eclipse-ani.gif
    209.2 KB · Views: 469
  • eclipse-ani.gif
    eclipse-ani.gif
    209.2 KB · Views: 473
  • eclipse-ani.gif
    eclipse-ani.gif
    209.2 KB · Views: 423
  • eclipse-ani.gif
    eclipse-ani.gif
    209.2 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Wow, Russ, that's a cool animation!

You captured something I observed but didn't understand: How come when the Earth's shadow initially covered the moon, the shadow line seemed fuzzy and the moon was orange-toned, but when the Earth's shadow moved off of the moon the shadow line was very well defined and the moon was very bright white? Was it because it was later at night, and the sky behind was darker...?

There are different exposure lengths to compensate for the moon getting dimmer as it is eclipsed. Some are composites as well, to get both the dim red eclipsed part bright enough to see without blowing out the rest. Also, there are different processing and quality levels at work there.

Last edited: