Total resistive force question.

In summary, total resistive force is the sum of all the resistive forces acting on an object and it opposes the object's motion. It is calculated by adding up all the individual resistive forces and is affected by factors such as speed, surface area, and medium. Total resistive force can slow down or prevent an object from moving and can be reduced by decreasing individual resistive forces.
Userxy
Hi,
Imagine a boat with a skier behind it (connected with a rope).

Mass of boat=2000Kg
Mass of skier=80Kg
At 20m/s the boat engine has a power output of 140kW

Calculate the total resistive force.

Power=FxV
140000W=Fx20m/s
F=7000N

Is the answer right ? I doubt my answer, even if its really easy, because I totally neclected the skier.

Thanks!:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct. The masses are irrelevant.

Paul Eccles said:
It's correct. The masses are irrelevant.
Okay, Thank you!

I think that 140kW is the total power. So is ok.

Related to Total resistive force question.

1. What is total resistive force?

Total resistive force is the combined force that opposes the motion of an object. It is the sum of all the resistive forces acting on an object, such as friction, air resistance, and drag.

2. How is total resistive force calculated?

Total resistive force is calculated by adding up all the individual resistive forces acting on an object. This can be done by using the equation F(total) = F1 + F2 + F3 + ... + Fn, where F(total) is the total resistive force and F1, F2, F3, etc. are the individual resistive forces.

3. What factors affect the total resistive force?

The total resistive force is affected by several factors, including the speed of the object, the surface area of the object, and the type of medium the object is moving through. For example, a larger surface area or faster speed will result in a higher total resistive force.

4. How does total resistive force impact the motion of an object?

Total resistive force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down or preventing it from moving. The greater the total resistive force, the more it will impact the object's motion and make it more difficult to keep moving.

5. How can total resistive force be reduced?

Total resistive force can be reduced by decreasing the individual resistive forces acting on an object. For example, using a lubricant to reduce friction or designing a streamlined shape to reduce air resistance can decrease the total resistive force and improve the object's motion.