Unsolvable Force Components Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitudes of two force components using equations with F1sin45 and F2cos30. The attempt at solving it involves substituting F1 and F2 into the equations, but the solution cannot be found. One suggestion is to rearrange the second equation to get F1 in terms of F2 and then substitute it into the first equation. Another suggestion is to subtract the two equations and use the values for sin30° and cos30° to solve for F2. However, the final solution for F2 is incorrect and should be \frac{1000}{\sqrt{3}+1} ≈ 288.68.
Ryuk1990

Homework Statement

I've got this physics problem where I'm working to find the magnitudes of two force components.

Homework Equations

F1sin45 + F2cos30 = 500 lbf

F1sin45 - F2sin30 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried so many times by substituting F1 and F2 into both equations but I just can't seem to solve for them. Can someone guide me on how to solve this particular problem step by step because I have to solve a bunch of these.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us exactly what you are doing to solve the system?

What you could do is re-arrange the second equation to get F1 in terms of F2 and then substitute it into the first equation.

Ryuk1990 said:

Homework Statement

I've got this physics problem where I'm working to find the magnitudes of two force components.

Homework Equations

F1sin45 + F2cos30 = 500 lbf...(1)

F1sin45 - F2sin30 = 0...(2)

Both equations 1 and 2 contain F1sin45, you can just subtract equations 1 and 2, and get F2, remember sin30°=1/2 and co30°=√3/2

You can add, divide, subtract equations when dealing with systems.

rock.freak667 said:
Both equations 1 and 2 contain F1sin45, you can just subtract equations 1 and 2, and get F2, remember sin30°=1/2 and co30°=√3/2

Ok I did what you said, but I end up with this:

F2(√3/2) + F2(1/2) = 500

How do I get F2 alone now?

(root 3 +1)F_2/2=500
1000/(root 3+1)=f_2

I got 577.35 for F2. Is that right?

no. its [tex]\frac{1000}{\sqrt{3}+1}[/tex]

1. What are tough systems of equations?

Tough systems of equations are a set of equations with multiple variables and complex relationships between them. These equations are difficult to solve and often require advanced mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

2. How do you solve tough systems of equations?

To solve tough systems of equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate variables and find their values. It is important to follow a systematic approach and double-check your work to ensure accuracy.

3. What makes a system of equations tough?

A system of equations can be considered tough if it has multiple variables, non-linear equations, or complex relationships between the variables. These systems are challenging to solve because they require a thorough understanding of algebraic concepts and advanced problem-solving skills.

4. Can you use a calculator to solve tough systems of equations?

While a calculator can be helpful in solving systems of equations, it is not always reliable for tough systems. Calculators can only provide approximate solutions and may not take into account all the variables and relationships in the equations. It is best to use a combination of hand calculations and a calculator to solve tough systems of equations.

5. Why are tough systems of equations important?

Tough systems of equations are important because they provide a way to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. These systems help us understand complex relationships between variables and make predictions or decisions based on the solutions obtained.