Transformation of the uniform distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mean and variance of log(X), where X is a random variable with uniform distribution over [0,1]. The individual must find the pdf of log(X) and considers using the cumulative distribution function. They determine that the cumulative distribution function is ey and the probability density function is also ey. There is some uncertainty about the range of y and whether it should be between eb and ea or between -infinity and 0. The lecturer may want them to approach the problem using the distribution of Y.
stukbv

Homework Statement

I am told that X is a random variable with uniform distribution over [0,1]
I need to find the mean and variance of log(X)

2. The attempt at a solution
I assume I must find the pdf of log(X) so I did this as follows;

Let Y=log(X)
Then to find the cumulative distribution function I considered;
P(Y≤ y) = P(log(X)≤ y) = P( X < ey)

I know that X is uniform over [0,1] so this is equal to
∫1.dy between ey and 0, where ey≤ 1

This gives me that the cumulative distribution function = ey
Which tells me that the probability density function is also ey

Now what I am not sure of is what must y lie between, is this for y between eb and ea ?

Physics news on Phys.org
stukbv said:

Homework Statement

I am told that X is a random variable with uniform distribution over [0,1]
I need to find the mean and variance of log(X)

2. The attempt at a solution
I assume I must find the pdf of log(X) so I did this as follows;

Let Y=log(X)
Then to find the cumulative distribution function I considered;
P(Y≤ y) = P(log(X)≤ y) = P( X < ey)

I know that X is uniform over [0,1] so this is equal to
∫1.dy between ey and 0, where ey≤ 1

This gives me that the cumulative distribution function = ey
Which tells me that the probability density function is also ey

Now what I am not sure of is what must y lie between, is this for y between eb and ea ?

For X between 0 and 1, what is the range of log(X)?

Anyway, to get the mean and variance of Y = log(X), you don't need the distribution of Y, although getting it is certainly one way of doing the problem.

RGV

I think my lecturer wants me to do it this way. So y must be between - infinity and 0?
Is my pdf correct now?

1. What is the uniform distribution?

The uniform distribution is a probability distribution where every possible outcome has an equal chance of occurring. It is often represented by a rectangular shape on a graph.

2. What is transformation of the uniform distribution?

The transformation of the uniform distribution refers to the process of manipulating the data from a uniform distribution to fit a different distribution. This is often done to better understand the data or to make it more useful for analysis.

3. How is the uniform distribution transformed?

The uniform distribution can be transformed using various mathematical functions, such as logarithmic, exponential, or power transformations. These functions can change the shape of the data and make it fit a different distribution.

4. Why is transformation of the uniform distribution useful?

Transformation of the uniform distribution can be useful for better understanding the data and making it more suitable for statistical analysis. It can also help identify any underlying patterns or relationships in the data that may not have been apparent before.

5. What are some common applications of transformation of the uniform distribution?

Transformation of the uniform distribution is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and biology. It can be applied to data sets that follow a uniform distribution to make them fit a different distribution, such as a normal distribution, to make statistical analysis easier and more accurate.