Transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors

In summary, the correct transformation rule for a 3rd order tensor Zijk is Z'ijk = CilCjmCknZlmn, where C is the transformation matrix for 1st and 2nd order tensors. This rule ensures that the relation ui = ZijkAjk remains valid after a coordinate rotation.
krabbie
1. Problem statement:

Assume that u is a vector and A is a 2nd-order tensor. Derive a transformation rule for a 3rd order tensor Zijk such that the relation ui = ZijkAjk remains valid after a coordinate rotation.

Homework Equations

:
[/B]
Transformation rule for 3rd order tensors: Z'ijk = CilCjmCknZlmn. Transformation rule of 2nd order tensors: A'jk = CjmCknAmn. Transformation rule for 1st order tensors: u'i = Cilul.3. My attempt:

To begin with, I am confused as to the wording of this question. I assume that it means: come up with an expression for Z'ijk such that the relation u'i = Z'ijkA'jk holds, but if I am wrong, I would appreciate an explanation of what we are trying to do! If I am correct, then I don't see why the normal transformation rule for third order tensors does not work here. I have:

Z'ijkA'jk = CilCjmCknZlmnCjmCknAmn = CilZlmnAmn = u'i

I think I've done something very wrong here, but I am unfamiliar with tensors and I don't know how to go about fixing it. Help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not much wrong with your work. I do have a quibble with your derivation. When writing A'(j,k)= C(j.m)C(k,n)A(m,n) you should use different dummy variables to prevent confusion with the dummy variables in the expression for Z. Thus A'(j,k)= C(j.p)C(k,q)A(p,q) is better. Then you can collapse the C matrices using the relation C(j,p)C(j,m) = delta(p.m). You get to the same answer.

Likes krabbie
davidmoore63@y said:
Not much wrong with your work. I do have a quibble with your derivation. When writing A'(j,k)= C(j.m)C(k,n)A(m,n) you should use different dummy variables to prevent confusion with the dummy variables in the expression for Z. Thus A'(j,k)= C(j.p)C(k,q)A(p,q) is better. Then you can collapse the C matrices using the relation C(j,p)C(j,m) = delta(p.m). You get to the same answer.
Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the input! The new notation helps.

Related to Transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors

What is a transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors?

A transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors refers to the mathematical rule that describes how the components of a 3rd order tensor transform under a change of coordinate system, when multiplied by a 2nd order tensor. It is used in tensor calculus, a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that have multiple components and are related to each other by coordinate transformations.

Why is a transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors important?

A transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors is important because it allows scientists and engineers to describe and analyze physical systems that involve multiple components and undergo changes in coordinate systems. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.

How is a transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors derived?

A transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors is derived from the laws of coordinate transformations and the properties of tensor operations. It involves applying the transformation rule for 2nd order tensors to the components of the 3rd order tensor, while keeping track of the order of operations.

Can a transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors be generalized to higher order tensors?

Yes, a transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors can be generalized to higher order tensors. In fact, the same principles and rules apply for tensors of any order, making tensor calculus a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems with multiple components.

How can a transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors be applied in real-world problems?

A transformation rule for product of 3rd, 2nd order tensors can be applied in a variety of real-world problems, such as analyzing stresses and strains in materials, describing the motion of fluids in fluid mechanics, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the development of mathematical models and simulations for various engineering and scientific applications.