Finding Turns Ratio for Different Transformer Configurations

In summary, the conversation is about transformer calculations and understanding the turns ratio for different configurations. The transformer is designed to match impedances of 600 W (pins 1-3) to 10 kW (pins 4-5) or 150 W (pins 1-2 or 2-3) to 10 kW (pins 4-5). The turns ratio can be calculated using the formula Rl/Rp=(Ns/Np)^2, where n is the amount of turns and R is the impedance. The goal is to calculate the turns ratio and provide a formula for VS as a function of VP. However, the expert summarizer states that they cannot provide the solution as it goes against the rules of the
Altan Tok
So I was studying on transformer calculations and understand it all pretty well until coming across these questions that I don't really understand. There's about 6 of them but if someone could work out 2 for me so I can understand it and finish it off it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

upload_2015-9-29_21-45-48.png
upload_2015-9-29_21-45-59.png

Electrical Specifications: Impedance at 1 kHz
1 - 2 150 W

2 - 3 150 W

1 - 3 600 W

4 - 5 10 kW

DC Resistance

1 - 3 23 W

4 - 5 400 W

Rated Power 2 W

-->This transformer is designed to match impedances 600 W (pins 1-3) to 10 kW (pins 4-5) or 150 W (pins 1-2 or 2-3) to 10 kW (pins 4-5).

-->Note that you can reverse primary and secondary to match 10 kW (pins 4-5) to either 150 W (pins 1-2 or 2-3) or 600 W (pins 1-3).

For each of the configurations in Figure 11, calculate the turns ratio NS/NP. Use Equation (6) and the transformer specifications on page 6 to calculate the turns ratios for each combination and provide a formula that gives VS as a function of VP. Enter your results in the table below.

NS/NP:

VS = f(VP):

Step-up / Step-down:

My attempt:
so I'm trying to figure out the turns ratio of each of them and I think you use the formula Rl/Rp=(Ns/Np)^2 where n is the amount of turns and R is the impedance. would the impedance be 600 ohms and 10 k ohms? do I have to consider each part as 1-2, 1-3 and 4-5?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but PF is not a homework service.

If you want to take a stab at solving your problem, we'll provide hints and suggestions, but we don't do your work for you. It's against the Rules.

What is a transformer?

A transformer is a device that transfers electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction.

What are the components of a transformer?

A transformer consists of two or more coils of insulated wire, called windings, that are wound around a core of magnetic material.

How do you calculate the turns ratio of a transformer?

The turns ratio of a transformer is calculated by dividing the number of turns in the primary winding by the number of turns in the secondary winding.

What is the difference between step-up and step-down transformers?

A step-up transformer increases the voltage from the primary to the secondary winding, while a step-down transformer decreases the voltage.

How do you calculate the output voltage of a transformer?

The output voltage of a transformer can be calculated by multiplying the input voltage by the turns ratio of the transformer.