Understanding Transformer Capacity: 250 kva, 440 input, 220 output

In summary, the speakers discussed the capacity of a three phase 250 kva transformer with 440 input and 220 output. It was determined that the transformer can provide 250kva to a load, meaning that it can bear 328 amps on the input side and 656 amps on the output side. The equation S=1.73*V*I was used to calculate the transformer's capacity, with S representing 3 phase VA (volt-amps), V representing voltage, and I representing current. The sqrt(3)=1.73 is required in the equation for three phase calculations.
neduet
Hi friends

If I have three phase 250 kva Transformer, 440 input and 220 output then
Can I say that it can bear 568.2 amp current or 1136.3 amps?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your transformer can provide 250kva to a load. So you'd have 250kva/220v.

Assuming your "output" is where the load is attached.

It can bear 328 amp current in input side(440 V) and 656 amps in output(220V).

S=1.73*V*I
S input=S output

Last edited:
m.s.j said:

S=1.73*V*I
S input=S output

Sir

how can you calculate. you use S=VI

neduet said:
Sir

how can you calculate. you use S=VI
I probably should wait for m.s.j to answer here. S = 3 phase VA (volt-amps) = V*I*sqrt(3). Sorry I didn't include the sqrt(3)=1.73 required in the equation since you were asking about 3 phase.
m.s.j said:

S=1.73*V*I
S input=S output
I totally missed that the OP said "three phase". Thanks for the sqrt(3).

1. What does the transformer capacity of 250 kva mean?

The transformer capacity of 250 kva stands for kilovolt-ampere, which is a unit used to measure the apparent power of a transformer. It indicates the maximum amount of power that the transformer can handle without exceeding its design limits.

2. What do the numbers 440 input and 220 output mean?

The numbers 440 input and 220 output refer to the voltage levels that the transformer can handle. The input voltage is the amount of electricity that enters the transformer, while the output voltage is the amount of electricity that leaves the transformer. In this case, the transformer can handle an input voltage of 440 volts and an output voltage of 220 volts.

3. How does the transformer capacity affect the electrical system?

The transformer capacity is an important factor in determining the efficiency and stability of an electrical system. If the transformer capacity is too low, it can lead to overloading and cause power outages. On the other hand, if it is too high, it can result in excessive energy consumption and increased costs.

4. Can the transformer capacity be increased or decreased?

Yes, the transformer capacity can be increased or decreased by changing the number of windings in the transformer's coils. However, this process is complex and requires careful calculations and modifications to the transformer structure.

5. What other factors should be considered when selecting a transformer with a capacity of 250 kva?

Apart from the transformer capacity, other factors that should be considered include the type of load (resistive, inductive or capacitive), the power factor, and the ambient temperature. These factors can affect the performance and efficiency of the transformer and should be taken into account when choosing the right transformer for a specific application.