Transistor at cutoff, conductance, or saturation?

In summary, the group discusses the behavior of a transistor when the VBB potentials are flipped. It is determined that the transistor will be in cutoff condition, as no current will flow through the gate and it will act as a disconnection in the circuit. The base is noted as the correct term to use for this type of transistor.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Hi everyone, took a bit of a break lately...but with 6 days left to the final test of electronics, I figured I'd clear up some understandings I have

Homework Statement

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4474/vbbreversed.jpg

I'm asked if the VBB potentials are flipped, at what condition will the transistor be? (conductance, saturation, cutoff...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I say cutoff, because no current flows to the gate of the transistor hence no current flows in the transistor. The transistor acts like a disconnection in the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good! :)

(Although you should call it the "base" instead of the "gate" for this type of transistor.)

Thanks ILS :)

FAQ: Transistor at cutoff, conductance, or saturation?

1. What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of material: a P-type semiconductor, an N-type semiconductor, and a thin layer of insulating material in between. The flow of current through the transistor is controlled by applying a voltage to the middle layer, known as the base.

2. What is the cutoff region of a transistor?

The cutoff region of a transistor is when there is no current flowing between the collector and the emitter. This occurs when the voltage applied to the base is below a certain threshold, and the transistor is essentially "turned off". In this state, the transistor acts as an open switch and does not allow any current to pass through.

3. How does a transistor behave in the saturation region?

In the saturation region, the transistor is fully turned on and acts as a closed switch, allowing maximum current to flow between the collector and emitter. This occurs when the voltage applied to the base is above a certain threshold, and the transistor is in its most conductive state. The voltage across the collector and emitter in this state is typically very low.

4. What is the conductance of a transistor?

The conductance of a transistor refers to its ability to allow current to flow through it. It is measured in siemens (S) and is the reciprocal of resistance. In the saturation region, the conductance of a transistor is at its maximum, while in the cutoff region, the conductance is at its minimum.

5. How can the operating point of a transistor be determined?

The operating point of a transistor can be determined by plotting the transistor's characteristic curves, which show the relationship between the collector current and the base-emitter voltage. The intersection of these curves represents the operating point of the transistor, which can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the base. The operating point is important for optimizing the performance of a transistor in electronic circuits.

Back