Calculate R3 in Transistor Circuit

In summary: Hfe and emitter resistors.In summary, the student is trying to calculate the base current of a transistor in a circuit using the equations for emitter resistance and base current. They note that the equation for R3 is more of a pull-down resistor and that in order to follow their explanation, each mention of the emitter must be identified as either Q2, Q3, or Q4. They suggest that R2 should equal R3 in order to have equal and opposite drive into the push-pull pair Q3 and Q4.
Harrison G

Homework Statement

IMG_20160812_234158.png

Hello, guys! I just wanted to make sure I do this right.

Homework Equations

Forget about the rest of the circuit and focus only on Q2 and Q4. How to calculate R3?

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I do it:
R3 is basicaly the emitter resistance which purpose is to regulate Hfe. So in most cases the emitter is held at 1V at current of 1mA. We find R3 from the formula R3=1V/1mA = 1000ohms. When Q4 is connected to the emitter of Q2, the emitter will fall to 0,6V and the current through R3 will reduce, leaving room for the base current of Q4 I3=0,6/1000= 0,0006A=0,6A. I3 reduced from 0,001A to 0,0006A. Now we can find what the base current of Q 4 will be from IB=IE-I3=1mA-0,6mA=0,4mA.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think R2 should equal R3 so that there is equal and opposite drive into the push-pull pair Q3 and Q4.

Likes Harrison G
tech99 said:
I think R2 should equal R3 so that there is equal and opposite drive into the push-pull pair Q3 and Q4.
But the calculations for R3 are done in such a way like I did, isn't that right?

Harrison G said:
R3 is basicaly the emitter resistance which purpose is to regulate Hfe. So in most cases the emitter is held at 1V at current of 1mA. We find R3 from the formula R3=1V/1mA = 1000ohms. When Q4 is connected to the emitter of Q2, the emitter will fall to 0,6V and the current through R3 will reduce, leaving room for the base current of Q4 I3=0,6/1000= 0,0006A=0,6A. I3 reduced from 0,001A to 0,0006A. Now we can find what the base current of Q 4 will be from IB=IE-I3=1mA-0,6mA=0,4mA.
In order to follow your explanation, I think we need each mention of emitter to be identified as of Q2, Q3 or Q4.

R3 is more a pull-down resistor. In this type of a circuit we do not care about Hfe much.
If you have time try watch this lecture

1. How do I calculate R3 in a transistor circuit?

To calculate R3 in a transistor circuit, you will need to use the voltage divider formula: R3 = Vout * R2 / (Vin - Vout), where Vout is the desired output voltage, R2 is the resistor value connected between the base and emitter of the transistor, and Vin is the input voltage. Make sure to use the actual values of Vout and Vin in the formula for accurate results.

2. What is the purpose of R3 in a transistor circuit?

R3 is used as a biasing resistor in a transistor circuit. It helps to stabilize the operating point of the transistor and ensures that it stays in the active region for proper amplification. R3 also helps to reduce the influence of external factors, such as temperature and voltage fluctuations, on the performance of the transistor.

3. Can I use any value for R3 in a transistor circuit?

No, the value of R3 should be carefully chosen based on the desired output voltage and the parameters of the transistor. Using a value that is too low can cause the transistor to overheat, while using a value that is too high can result in poor amplification. It is recommended to consult a transistor datasheet or use a circuit simulation tool to determine the appropriate value for R3.

4. How does changing the value of R3 affect the performance of a transistor circuit?

The value of R3 affects the operating point of the transistor, which in turn can impact its gain, linearity, and stability. A higher value of R3 can decrease the gain of the circuit but increase its stability, while a lower value can increase the gain but decrease stability. It is important to carefully choose the value of R3 to balance these factors and achieve the desired performance.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating R3 in a transistor circuit?

Yes, besides the desired output voltage and transistor parameters, you should also consider the power dissipation of R3 and its tolerance. Using a resistor with a higher power rating can ensure that it does not overheat, while using a resistor with a lower tolerance can result in more accurate calculations. Additionally, the placement and routing of R3 in the circuit should also be taken into account to avoid any unwanted noise or interference.