Transistor Resistance: Find Current & Formula

In summary: The resistor's value is 100Ω, source is 3V.Say if the transistor wasn't there, the amp would be 0.03A or 30mA.But when I run this in a simulation, the amp across the ciruit is 0.02252A or 22.52mA.How is the transistor affecting the current and is there a formula?The base-emitter junction inside the transistor is actually a diode. This diode needs at least 0.7V across it before it will conduct appreciable current. This leaves 2.3V or less across the resistor. The 22.53mA shows that the actual voltage drop across the base-emitter diode is 0.748V
LtIvan
Do transistors give a certain resistance?
If so how do you find this resistance?
Say Hypothetically for the following example. Refer to (fig.1).
The resistor's value is 100Ω, source is 3V.
Say if the transistor wasn't there, the amp would be 0.03A or 30mA.
But when I run this in a simulation, the amp across the ciruit is 0.02252A or 22.52mA.
How is the transistor affecting the current and is there a formula?

Attachments

• tran.png
    tran.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 409
Engineering news on Phys.org
The base-emitter junction inside the transistor is actually a diode. This diode needs at least 0.7V across it before it will conduct appreciable current. This leaves 2.3V or less across the resistor. The 22.53mA shows that the actual voltage drop across the base-emitter diode is 0.748V, which is reasonable for a small transistor.

Thankyou.
That helped alot.

Tom.G said:
The base-emitter junction inside the transistor is actually a diode. This diode needs at least 0.7V across it before it will conduct appreciable current.
Looking at the current-voltage characteristics of the B-E path (as for any pn junction) we see a typical exponential function with a current even for voltages as low as 0.1 volt. What is an "appreciable" current? I think, it is necessary again to mention that the pn junction does not "suddenly" open at a voltage of 0.7 V (as some newcomers might think).

@LvW

I agree. The 0.7V is just a 'typical' rule-of-thumb used during a quick-look circuit evaluation. Especially for design, a look at the characterisric curves is essential. (as the OP 0.748V example points out!)

LtIvan said:
Do transistors give a certain resistance?
If so how do you find this resistance?

Each transistor (BJT and FET) as well as each semiconductor device (diode) has a strong non-linear voltage-to-current characteristics.
Therefore, speaking about "resistances" it is very important strongly to discriminate between STATIC (R=V/I) and DYNAMIC (r=dV/dI=v/i) resistances.
So - what is your problem? A transistor is a three-terminal device and we can define two resistances (static, dynamic) at the input as well as at the output port.

Related to Transistor Resistance: Find Current & Formula

What is transistor resistance?

Transistor resistance is the measure of how much a transistor resists the flow of electric current. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of transistors in electronic circuits.

How do you find the current in a transistor?

The current in a transistor can be found by using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. However, transistor resistance is not a constant value and varies with different operating conditions.

What is the formula for transistor resistance?

The formula for transistor resistance is R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. This formula can be rearranged to find any of the three variables, depending on what information is known.

How does temperature affect transistor resistance?

Temperature can have a significant effect on transistor resistance. As temperature increases, the resistance of a transistor decreases, and vice versa. This is because higher temperatures cause the electrons in the material to move faster, resulting in a lower resistance.

Why is transistor resistance important in electronic circuits?

Transistor resistance is important because it affects the flow of current in electronic circuits. By controlling the resistance, transistors can be used to amplify or switch electronic signals, making them a crucial component in many electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.