Transistor that *Stops* current when base is powered

In summary, The speaker is looking for a way to get 7 outputs from 3 inputs in a small scale project, and is currently considering using transistors but is concerned about the cost and space. They are wondering if there is a way to eliminate NOT gates by using a component that blocks power from emitter to collector when the base is turned on. They have been suggested to use a specialized BCD decoder or a depletion mode MOSFET.
NotASmurf
Hello, in a small scale project I need a way to get 7 outputs from 3 inputs, I have an idea how to do that using transistors but the cost adds up due to the high amount of transistors, it would simplify things space wise, and cost wise if I could eliminate the NOT gates, is there such a thing that blocks power from emitter to collector when base is on instead of the contrary? Any help appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electronics can achieve anything. Perhaps if you explain in detail what you are wanting, we can suggest a solution.

Why don't you use a specialized BCD decoder ?

NotASmurf said:
is there such a thing that blocks power from emitter to collector when base is on instead of the contrary?
You need to define "on". If "on" is "close to the supply voltage", a PNP will turn off.

A JFET is a depletion-mode device. When the gate to source voltage is zero, the device is ON. In order to turn it OFF, the base must be driven negative, for an n-channel part.

Claude

NotASmurf said:
Hello, in a small scale project I need a way to get 7 outputs from 3 inputs, I have an idea how to do that using transistors but the cost adds up due to the high amount of transistors, it would simplify things space wise, and cost wise if I could eliminate the NOT gates, is there such a thing that blocks power from emitter to collector when base is on instead of the contrary? Any help appreciated.

As others have said you should look into decoders.
To answer your question, you want a depletion mode MOSFET. The device acts as a 'closed switch' with an open gate or low gate voltage. you need to pass above the gate threshold to 'turn the switch off.' 1-4 VGS_on typically depending on the device

1. What is a transistor that stops current when the base is powered?

A transistor that stops current when the base is powered is also known as a PNP transistor. When the base is powered, it creates a reverse-bias and prevents current from flowing through the transistor.

2. How does a transistor that stops current when the base is powered work?

This type of transistor works by using a PNP configuration, where the base is connected to a positive voltage source. When the base is powered, it creates a reverse-bias between the base and emitter, preventing current from flowing through the transistor.

3. What is the purpose of a transistor that stops current when the base is powered?

The purpose of this type of transistor is to act as a switch or amplifier, controlling the flow of current in a circuit. By stopping the current when the base is powered, it allows for precise control and manipulation of the circuit.

4. What are some common applications for a transistor that stops current when the base is powered?

This type of transistor is commonly used in electronic devices such as amplifiers, audio equipment, and power supplies. It is also used in digital logic circuits, where it acts as a switch to control the flow of current between different components.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a transistor that stops current when the base is powered?

One potential drawback is that these transistors have a slower response time compared to other types of transistors. This can limit their use in high-speed applications. Additionally, they may require a higher voltage to operate, which can increase costs and complexity in some circuits.