1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition in magnetic refrigeration

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graph below (see attached) shows the measured magnetization against temperature at room pressure for the material Gd and for another material for use in a magnetic refrigerator at room temperature.

1)Calculate the expected change of temperature of a thermally isolated piece of Gd when the field in which it is located slowly reduced from an induction of H1 = 1.2T to H2 = 0.8T starting at a temperature 300K. You may assume that the M versus T curve does not change appreciably with H for H in the range 0.8-1.2T. Additionally, assume that the molar specific heat capacity of Gd is Cp = 3R J/K/mol of atoms, independent of temperature and field, The formula mass of Gd is 157.25g/mol.

2. Relevant equations
    Derived in earlier part: $$dT = - \frac{T}{C_{p,H}} \left(\frac{\partial \mathbb{M}(T,H)}{\partial T}\right)_{H,P} dH$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I have to use the above equation derived in an earlier 'show that'. The graph attached shows M/ρ vs T which is equivalent to ##\mathbb{M} / m## since we are also to assume the magnetization,M, is related ##\mathbb{M} = MV##.
    So, $$\frac{\partial \mathbb{M}/m}{\partial T} = \frac{1}{m} \frac{\partial \mathbb{M}}{\partial T} + \mathbb{M} \frac{\partial}{\partial T} \frac{1}{m},$$ where ##\partial \mathbb{M}/m / \partial T## is the slope of the given graph.

Since it says the curve does not change appreciably, I think this means the graph has a constant gradient in the particular interval. But I am not sure how to obtain a functional form of ##\partial \mathbb{M}/\partial T##. I can relate this to a Maxwell relation, but I don't think this helps.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Does anyone have a hint?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted