Translational speed of a bucket

In summary, the question is asking for the torque produced by a bucket filled with water attached to a rope wound around a cylinder. Using the equations provided, the torque is calculated to be 373.37 N*m.
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

A bucket filled with water has a mass of 86.5 kg and is attached to a rope that is wound around a 0.44 m radius cylinder. What torque does the bucket produce around the center of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

I=2/5 mr^2
w=v/r
mgh=1/2 mv^2+1/2lw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i=2/5mr^2
i=2/5 3.69*.154^2=.035004816

w=square root 2*3.69*9.81*1.85/ 3.69*(.154^2+.035)=24.84951169
v=wr=24.84951169*.154=3.828776764

the worksheets online. it kepps telling me its wrong. and i tried rounding.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking for torque and you are finding velocity.

What is the definition of torque?

oh. thanks i got it now.
T=mgd=86.5*9.81*.44=373.37N*m

1. What is the translational speed of a bucket?

The translational speed of a bucket refers to how fast the bucket is moving in a straight line from one point to another. It can be measured in units such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is the translational speed of a bucket calculated?

The translational speed of a bucket can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the amount of time it took to travel that distance. For example, if a bucket travels 10 meters in 5 seconds, its translational speed would be 2 meters per second.

3. What factors can affect the translational speed of a bucket?

The translational speed of a bucket can be affected by factors such as the force applied to it, the weight of the bucket, and any obstacles or friction it may encounter.

4. How does the translational speed of a bucket differ from its rotational speed?

Translational speed refers to the movement of the bucket in a straight line, while rotational speed refers to the speed at which the bucket is spinning around a fixed axis. These two types of speed are often interrelated but are measured differently.

5. Why is the translational speed of a bucket important in scientific research?

The translational speed of a bucket is important in scientific research as it can provide valuable information about the dynamics and behavior of fluids, forces, and objects. It can also help in understanding and predicting the movement of objects in different scenarios and environments.