Transpositions in Abstract Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transposition and its relevance in a theorem in Hungerford's abstract algebra. The speaker suggests that an assumption of n\geq2 should be added in the theorem to avoid meaningless statements when n=1. However, the responder explains that this is not necessary as the concept of "empty product" allows for the statement to be valid even for n=1.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Hi!
There's a theorem 7.43 in p.221(Hungerford's abstract algebra) which states that every permutation in S[itex]_{n}[/itex] is a product of transpositions.
What I know about the concept of transposition is it is defined if there are at least two distinct elements. But, in the above theorem, there's no assumption to prevent that n could be 1. I think, in that case, saying a product of transpositions is meaningless.
So, I think an assumption such as n[itex]\geq[/itex]2 must be added in the above theorem.
Am I wrong?? If so, could you explain why??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
gotjrgkr said:

Homework Statement

Hi!
There's a theorem 7.43 in p.221(Hungerford's abstract algebra) which states that every permutation in S[itex]_{n}[/itex] is a product of transpositions.
What I know about the concept of transposition is it is defined if there are at least two distinct elements. But, in the above theorem, there's no assumption to prevent that n could be 1. I think, in that case, saying a product of transpositions is meaningless.
So, I think an assumption such as n[itex]\geq[/itex]2 must be added in the above theorem.
Am I wrong?? If so, could you explain why??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi gotjrgkr! :smile:

It's called an empty product.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_product

So, do you mean the theorem also makes sense even when n=1?
Are you sure?? Where can you find this? I mean, do you have a book explaing about it?

It's just a matter of choosing a definition of "product" that ensures that we don't have to state special cases separately. It's just a convenience. The statement makes sense for n=1 if we want it to.

Thanks!

1. What are transpositions in algebra?

Transpositions in algebra refer to the process of rearranging the elements or terms in an algebraic expression or equation. This rearrangement is done by swapping the position of two elements or terms in the expression or equation.

2. How do transpositions work?

To perform a transposition, you need to isolate the variable or term that you want to solve for on one side of the equation. Then, you can swap the position of the variable or term with the other side of the equation. This process can be repeated if necessary until the desired variable or term is on one side of the equation and all other terms are on the other side.

3. Why are transpositions useful in algebra?

Transpositions are useful in algebra because they allow us to solve for a specific variable or term in an equation. It also helps to simplify complex expressions by rearranging terms in a more convenient way.

4. What is the difference between direct and indirect transpositions?

Direct transpositions involve swapping the position of two terms or elements in an equation, while indirect transpositions involve multiplying both sides of an equation by a constant to solve for a specific variable or term.

5. Can transpositions be used in all types of algebraic equations?

Yes, transpositions can be used in any type of algebraic equation, including linear, quadratic, and polynomial equations. However, the specific method of transposition may vary depending on the type of equation.