Tricky Trig Differentiation: Solving for dy in Terms of x | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding dy in terms of x for the equation x = 4sin(2y+6). Different methods are mentioned, including implicit differentiation and using reciprocal derivatives. The mark scheme suggests using substitution to get to the final answer of + or - 1 / (2 sqrt[16 - x^2]).
thomas49th

Homework Statement

x = 5sin(2y +6) find dy in terms of x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dy = 8 cos (2y+6)

dy/dx = 1 / (8cos(2y+6)

but according to the mark scheme the final answer is

+ or - 1 / (2 sqrt[16/x^2])

i don't see how on Earth they got there :O

Can anyone? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The result they give is more directly found by inverting the original function so that it becomes an inverse-sine function: that would account for the 1/sqrt form of their answer.

As for your method, it may be better to use implicit differentiation to solve for dy/dx, rather than finding dx/dy and using the reciprocal. BTW, I don't see how you get an '8' there -- wouldn't the Chain Rule give you 10?

Having worked this through now, I believe you have a typo here:
thomas49th said:
x = 4 sin(2y +6) find dy in terms of x

This approach:
dx/dy = 8 cos (2y+6)

dy/dx = 1 / [8 cos(2y+6)]

does work and gives the same result as implicit differentiation, but only because your function f(y) is continuous in y everywhere. Such a method using reciprocal derivatives should be used with some caution...

How they get their answer is by a substitution. You know that sin(2y+6) = (x/4). How would you express cos(2y+6) in terms of x? (And I believe you also have a typo in your copy of their answer that you presented...)

yes yes your right

x = 4sin(2y +6) find dy in terms of x

+ or - 1 / (2 sqrt[16 - x^2])

substitution... ohh that sounds like a better method. how do i do that here?

y = (sin^-1(x/4) - 6)/2

is that right? What do i subistute in?

I don't know what stage you are at in rules of differentiation. Have you done derivatives of inverse trig functions? The relevant rule is

d/dx [sin^-1 (u)] = [ 1 / sqrt( 1 - u^2 ) ] · (du/dx) .

For our function, u = x/4 .

Alternatively, you can use your result

dy/dx = 1 / [8 cos(2y+6)] ,

together with

sin(2y + 6) = (x/4) and

sin u = sqrt( 1 - u^2 ) ,

to get to the given answer.

What is Tricky Trig Differentiation?

Tricky Trig Differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a trigonometric function. It involves using the rules of differentiation, as well as knowledge of trigonometric identities, to simplify and solve for the derivative.

Why is Tricky Trig Differentiation useful?

Tricky Trig Differentiation is useful because it allows us to find the rate of change of trigonometric functions, which are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps us to solve more complex mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions.

What are some common strategies for solving Tricky Trig Differentiation problems?

Some common strategies for solving Tricky Trig Differentiation problems include using the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identities and the double angle identities. It is also helpful to simplify the function before attempting to find the derivative.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Tricky Trig Differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Tricky Trig Differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule or product rule when necessary, not simplifying the function before finding the derivative, and making errors when applying trigonometric identities.

When should Tricky Trig Differentiation be used instead of other differentiation techniques?

Tricky Trig Differentiation should be used when the function being differentiated contains trigonometric functions. Other differentiation techniques, such as the power rule or logarithmic differentiation, should be used for functions that do not contain trigonometric functions.