Tried to find the acceleration by doing ma=mg-mkv^2

• Thread starter XtremePhysX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: The left-hand side is going to be v's and x's, t's are bad because you want some final form x(v). A rule from standard calculus will allow you to write this side in terms of just 'v' and 'x'.
XtremePhysX

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/kK7xE.jpg

Homework Equations

In the picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the acceleration by doing ma=mg-mkv^2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

XtremePhysX said:

I suggest that you change the direction of x, to be consistent with the questions.

Now, with the equation of the acceleration and the forces, can you answer (i)?

voko said:
I suggest that you change the direction of x, to be consistent with the questions.

Now, with the equation of the acceleration and the forces, can you answer (i)?

Can you explain to me the concept of terminal velocity please ?

XtremePhysX said:

That's the right Newton's 2nd law for the ascension (who knew how to spell this word?..) From that you can parts (ii) and (iii) (hint for part (ii): What happens at the terminal velocity that would allow you to solve for it from that equation?)

For part (iv) you are going to need to do something to the left-hand side of the equation:[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = -\frac{g}{{V_t}^{2}} ({V_t}^2 + v^2)[/tex] Note: For the love of god change upper-case 'V' to '[itex]V_t[/itex]' to avoid confusion with lower-case 'v'...
What are you going to have to do to the left-hand side? Well you want just v's and x's, t's are bad because you want some final form x(v). A rule from standard calculus will allow you to write this side in terms of just 'v' and 'x'. Hint: It's a rule so divisive that Joe Biden was in the news for even mentioning it recently.

Edit #1: I notice your mentioning of terminal velocity and perhaps some misunderstanding regarding it. Terminal velocity is the velocity at which a particle is going so fast (due to a velocity independent accelerating force) that some resistive force (that's a function of 'v') will get so large as to perfectly oppose it. In other words, it's a velocity at which there is zero acceleration on the particle. Notice that they make you calculate it on the descent first in part (ii) before part (iii). You need to use the same value you get in part (ii) for part (iii), it's not physically going to change during ascent/descent, but it makes more sense to calculate it for the descent equation because in that equation it's actually something reachable...

Edit #2: Further hint for the left-hand side stuff I was mentioning. You are going to want some form on the left-hand side that contains [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] which you are simply going to call 'v'. That's how you get rid of the 't' after you apply the infamous rule I hinted at.

Edit #3: Woops, I put that the left-hand side stuff was for part (iii), I meant to say that it's for part (iv)..

Last edited:

First notice the edits to my last post

For part (v) you're going to want to forget about the solution x(v) you found for part (iv) and go back to the equation: [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = -\frac{g}{{V_0}^2} ({V_0}^2 + v^2)[/tex] and actually solve for v(t). Here you want to use '[itex]\frac{{V_o}}{2}[/itex]' and 0 as your limits of integration for your velocity integral, you can then solve for your upper limit of your time integral which will simply be the time in question.

Part (vi) is really similar to part (iii).

And finally for part (vii) you are going to want to go back to your solution x(v) and find x(0.1[itex]V_0[/itex]). Well... that would be for ascension, I think it wants it for the descent in which case you will have to derive part (iv) for the descent and solve for x(0.1[itex]V_o[/itex]) from that equation.. Ugh.

XtremePhysX said:
Can you explain to me the concept of terminal velocity please ?

Observe that the air resistance (drag) grows as the square of the velocity. Which means that at a certain velocity the drag will be equal to the pull of gravity, the net acceleration will be zero, and the velocity will stop growing. This is the terminal velocity.

Last edited:

So how do I do part (i) ?

"Which means that at a certain velocity the drag will be equal to the pull of gravity, the net acceleration will be zero, and the velocity will stop growing." What does that mean with regard to the equation of motion?

voko said:
"Which means that at a certain velocity the drag will be equal to the pull of gravity, the net acceleration will be zero, and the velocity will stop growing." What does that mean with regard to the equation of motion?

[tex]mkV_{t}^{2}=mg[/tex] therefore [tex]kV_{t}^{2}=g[/tex] ?

Correct.

voko said:
Correct.

I think once I get part the second part, which is the acceleration, the part after that is just changing the acceleration to vdv/dx and integrating.
But how do I get (iii) ? the acceleration?

Open the parentheses in (iii), what do you get?

[tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}=-g-g\frac{v^{2}}{V_{t}^{2}}[/tex]

How did you get the term on the left? The rightmost term, apply the identity you derived for (ii).

FAQ: Tried to find the acceleration by doing ma=mg-mkv^2

1. What is the equation ma=mg-mkv^2 used for?

This equation is used to find the acceleration of an object in free fall or under the influence of gravity.

2. How is this equation derived?

The equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, where F is the force exerted on an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the force is given by the difference between the weight of the object, mg, and the air resistance, mkv^2, where k is a constant and v is the velocity of the object.

3. Can this equation be used for objects with any mass or velocity?

Yes, this equation can be used for any object, regardless of its mass or velocity. However, it is most commonly used for objects in free fall or with relatively low velocities where air resistance can be neglected.

4. How accurate is this equation in determining acceleration?

This equation provides a very accurate estimation of acceleration for objects in free fall or with low velocities, as long as air resistance is negligible. However, for objects with higher velocities or in more complex scenarios, other factors such as air resistance and friction may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

The main limitation of using this equation is that it assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity, which may not be the case in certain scenarios. It also does not take into account other factors such as air resistance, friction, or the shape of the object. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the specific situation before using this equation to calculate acceleration.