Solving Trig Equations: 2cos^2(x)+cos(x)-1=0 in the Interval x≥0 and x≤2π

• Thread starter krusty the clown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, solving trigonometric equations involves finding the values of x that make the equation true within a given interval. For the equation 2cos^2(x)+cos(x)-1=0 in the interval x≥0 and x≤2π, the solution can be found by factoring and using the unit circle to determine the values of x that satisfy the equation. These values of x are known as the solutions or roots of the equation within the given interval.
krusty the clown
Solve 2cos^2(x)+cos(x)-1=0 In the interval where x is greater or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 2pi

Let cos(x)=y

2y^2+y-1=0 Factors to
(2y-1)(y+1)=0
so y=1/2 or y=-1
cos(x)=-1 so x=pi
cos(x)=1/2 Here is my question, I know it equals pi/3, but can it also equal 5pi/3 ?
If someone would let me know I would greatly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
Plug it into the equation. What do you get?

cookiemonster

Yes, cos(x) can also equal 5pi/3 in the given interval. To confirm this, you can plug in 5pi/3 for x in the original equation and see that it satisfies the equation. Additionally, in the interval x≥0 and x≤2π, there are two solutions for cos(x)=1/2, which are x=pi/3 and x=5pi/3. Therefore, both x=pi/3 and x=5pi/3 are valid solutions to the given equation.

Related to Solving Trig Equations: 2cos^2(x)+cos(x)-1=0 in the Interval x≥0 and x≤2π

What is the given trigonometric equation and interval?

The given trigonometric equation is 2cos^2(x)+cos(x)-1=0 and the interval is x≥0 and x≤2π.

What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step is to rewrite the equation in terms of one trigonometric function. In this case, we can use the double angle identity cos^2(x) = (1+cos(2x))/2 to rewrite the equation as cos(2x)+cos(x)-1=0.

How do we proceed after rewriting the equation?

Next, we can use the sum-to-product identity cos(α)+cos(β) = 2cos((α+β)/2)cos((α-β)/2) to simplify the equation to 2cos((3x)/2)cos((x)/2) = 0.

What are the solutions to this simplified equation?

The solutions are x=0, π/2, and π.

How do we determine the solutions for the original equation in the given interval?

To determine the solutions in the given interval, we need to check if the solutions from the simplified equation fall within the interval. In this case, only x=0 and π/2 fall within the interval. Therefore, the solutions for the original equation in the given interval are x=0 and x=π/2.