1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Identities for Refraction

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is essentially (I've rephrased it, but this is what it is asking)
    show that [ (2n1cosa) / (n2cosa + n1cosb) ]2

is equal to (sin2a sin2b) / (sin2(a+b)cos2(a-b))

where these are for refraction through materials and satisfy n1sina=n2sinb

2. The attempt at a solution
    I just took pictures of my work because it would be easier than typing it all out. As far as I can tell I didn't do anything wrong up till then
    first:
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6325/0221091218.jpg [Broken]
    second:
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7136/0221091220.jpg [Broken]

the lines are numbered so you can refer to them easily if you need to

tl;dr:
    show how [2cosasinb]2 = sin2a sin2b

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just looking at your bottom line, I think you have made a mistake somewhere.
    Your last line is to show that 2cosa*sinb = sin2a*sin2b, which is not an identity.

Starting from the right side:
    sin2a*sin2b = 2sina*cosa*2sinb*cosb = 4sina*cosa*sinb*cosb, which is different from the left side.

You don't show how you got your first expression to [ (2cosasinb) / (sin2a / 2 + sin2b / 2) ]^2, so it's possible you made a mistake getting to that point.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    ok thanks, I'll double check my work again, and if it doesn't work out, post my complete work to see

5. Feb 21, 2009 #4
    Ok, I actually just made a mistake typing the question in here. I fixed it now, and posted pictures of my work so you can see how I got there. The last line (now correct in first post) should have been

show how
    [2cosasinb]2 = sin2a sin2b

Thanks for your help :)

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5
    bump for help. is this an identity?

[2cosasinb]2 = sin2a sin2b

7. Feb 23, 2009 #6

Mark44

I think it might be. The equation is true for a = pi/6 and b = pi/3. I don't see how to prove that it's true for arbitrary a and b, but let me look into it...

8. Feb 23, 2009 #7

Mark44

Not an identity. In my earlier post I neglected to square a number, so it's not true for a = pi/6 and b = pi/3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook