Trig Identity problem (double angle formulas incl.)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving three identities using addition, subtraction, and double angle formulas. The first identity involves transforming the expression (1+cosx)/(sinx) into cot(x/2), while the second identity involves transforming 2 csc 2x into sec x csc x. The third identity requires using the Pythagorean identity to simplify the expression cos^6 x- sin^6 x into cos 2x(1 - 1/4sin^2 2x). The conversation also mentions having difficulty with the third identity and using the double angle formula to solve it.
Suzan

Homework Statement

(1) (1+cosx)/(sinx)= cot (x/2)
(2) 2 csc 2x= sec x csc x
(3) cos^6 x- sin^6 x= cos 2x(1 - 1/4sin^2 2x) ( I think this has to do something with subtracting -3a^2b^2, since I need to get a-2ab+b to factor it..?)

Homework Equations

Addition and Subtraction formulas (sin,cos and tan)
Double angle formulas (Sin 2x, cos 2x (3 formulas), tan 2x)
Reciprocal id., quotient id., Pythagorean Id.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone explain the thought process of proving these identities, I have zillion more of these, and I think I am missing something. I think it is the double angle formulas that are confusing me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember a lot of half/double angle formulas myself. There's too many of them. But let's start with the first one, cos(x)=cos(x/2+x/2). Now use the cos addition formula and get cos(x)=cos(x/2)cos(x/2)-sin(x/2)sin(x/2)=cos^2(x/20-sin^2(x/2). Do the same thing with sin(x)=sin(x/2+x/2). Now put those into the left hand side. Similarly for the second one, csc(2x)=1/sin(2x). sin(2x)=sin(x+x)=2sin(x)cos(x), right? Put that in.
I'm still thinking about the third...

For the third one, I think you just have to slog it out. I did the 2x=x+x thing to get the right side completely in terms of sin(x) and cos(x). Then you just have to use sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 enough times in the right places to cancel everything but the sixth powers.

Thanks, the second one was easy (funny how stupid one can feel for not getting this..=P) . However, I can see where you're going with replacing 2x=x+x for cosx and sinx, but I'm getting stuck at the first step for both 1 and 3.

I am having trouble with especially the third one, where I'm trying to figure out the last part of the problem (1- 1/4sin^2 2x).. I don't know exactly how to get it in the form of cos2x.

I appreciate your help =D

Try 1 again. That's by far the easier of the two. Post what you've done so for. I'm not sure what you are thinking of as 'the first step'.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve trigonometric equations.

2. What is the double angle formula?

The double angle formula is a trigonometric identity that relates the values of trigonometric functions for double angles to the values of trigonometric functions for single angles. It is often used to simplify trigonometric expressions, especially when dealing with expressions involving multiple angles.

3. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to use algebraic manipulation and the properties of trigonometric functions to show that one side of the equation can be transformed into the other side. This is often done by starting with one side of the equation and using known trigonometric identities to manipulate it until it becomes equal to the other side.

4. What are some common double angle formulas?

Some common double angle formulas include:

• Sine: sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
  • Cosine: cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)
  • Tangent: tan(2x) = 2tan(x)/(1-tan^2(x))

5. How are double angle formulas used in real life?

Double angle formulas have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, they can be used to calculate the distance between two objects in space or to analyze the amplitude of a sound wave. They are also used in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures.