Solving the Cosine Identity: cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2 β

In summary, the conversation discusses using identities to simplify the equation cos(α − β)cos(α + β) = cos2α - sin2 β. The conversation also addresses the use of complex exponentials and the limitations of using identities with multiple variables. The final suggestion is to use the identity sin^2α + cos^2α = 1 to simplify the equation and eliminate unnecessary terms.
phys1618

Homework Statement

cos(α − β)cos(α + β) = cos2α - sin2 β

Homework Equations

cos(α + β) = cos α cos β − sin α sin β

cos(α − β) = cos α cos β + sin α sin β

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the LHS which makes it
cos2α cos2β - sin2α sin2β=RHS

Then, I'm stuck, however, i tried to do what I think can work...But I don't think it's right.
From here I think it's wrong.
(cos2α - sin2 β) (cos2β + sin2α)=RHS
(cos2α - sin2 β) (1) =RHSS

My problem is can we use identity for items like cos2 a + sin2 B = 1?
the variable is not the same :/

Physics news on Phys.org
can you use complex exponentials?

phys1618 said:
I worked out the LHS which makes it
cos2α cos2β - sin2α sin2β=RHS

Good work.

Then, I'm stuck, however, i tried to do what I think can work...But I don't think it's right.
From here I think it's wrong.
(cos2α - sin2 β) (cos2β + sin2α)=RHS
(cos2α - sin2 β) (1) =RHSS

My problem is can we use identity for items like cos2 a + sin2 B = 1?
the variable is not the same :/

The identity only works with one variable, just as you suggest. So sin2α+cos2β cannot be reduced to 1. Also, your initial step in reducing the RHS has too many powers of 2 in it.

You will do better not to use a difference of squares at this point. Basically, you have equations that involve four terms:
[tex]\sin\alpha, \sin\beta, \cos\alpha, \cos\beta[/tex]​
You can easily get that down to two terms using the identity
[tex]\sin^2\alpha + \cos^2\alpha = 1[/tex]​
and the same again for β.

You will find this identity easier to use while you have the squares present in the equation. Since the RHS uses cos α and sin β, you can try eliminating the cos β and the sin α from the LHS.

Cheers -- sylas

1. How do you prove the cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β?

To prove this identity, we can use the double angle formula for cosine: cos2x = cos^2x - sin^2x. By substituting α-β and α+β for x, we get cos(2α-2β) = cos^2(α-β) - sin^2(α-β) and cos(2α+2β) = cos^2(α+β) - sin^2(α+β). Then, by multiplying these two expressions together, we get cos(2α-2β)cos(2α+2β) = (cos^2(α-β) - sin^2(α-β))(cos^2(α+β) - sin^2(α+β)). Simplifying this equation using the double angle formula for cosine again, we get cos(2α-2β)cos(2α+2β) = cos2α - sin2β, which is equivalent to the given cosine identity.

2. How is the cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β used in mathematics?

The cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β is used in many areas of mathematics, such as trigonometry, calculus, and geometry. It is particularly useful in solving trigonometric equations and identities, as well as in simplifying complex trigonometric expressions.

3. Can the cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β be applied to any values of α and β?

Yes, this identity can be applied to any values of α and β, as long as they are real numbers. It is a fundamental identity of trigonometry and holds true for all values of α and β.

4. Are there any other ways to express the cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β?

Yes, there are several other ways to express this identity. One common alternative form is cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = 1/2(cos2α + cos2β), which is derived by using the sum and difference identities for cosine. Additionally, the identity can be written as cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos^2(α) - sin^2(β) + 2sin(α)sin(β)cos(α).

5. How can the cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β be applied in real-world situations?

The cosine identity cos(α-β)cos(α+β) = cos2α - sin2β has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the trajectory of projectiles, analyze the motion of objects on a circular path, and determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object. It is also used in GPS systems to calculate the position of a receiver based on signals from satellites.