Trigger the emission of light by an atomic electron

In summary, the phenomenon of an atomic electron losing energy through the emission of a photon can be triggered by both stimulated and spontaneous emission. In stimulated emission, the incoming photon couples with the electron, causing it to either absorb the photon (up transition) or emit another photon of the same energy (down transition). The probability of these transitions is determined by the energy difference between the initial and final levels. As for spontaneous emission, it is best explained by quantum electrodynamics, which considers the role of zero point energy in the emission process. In classical physics, there is no satisfactory explanation for spontaneous emission.
afcsimoes
What does trigger the phenomenon of an atomic electron losing energy through the issue of a photon?
(I know how an atomic electron absorbs light and changes to a more energetic level but I never read an explanation cause-effect of the inverse)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stimulated emission?

blue_leaf77 said:
Stimulated emission?
Yes but not only. I think also in the natural expontaneous emission, like the emissions of a radioactive nucleous.

When a photon comes, it actually couples the electron sitting in a certain level with other levels which are separated from the initial level by about the same amount of energy as the energy of the incoming photon. The result of this coupling may end up as an up transition (absorption where the photon get absorbed) or down transition (stimulated emission where the electron goes down to a lower level emitting another photon of the same energy). Whether the electron will undergo absorption or stimulated emission is determined by the transition probability between the initial level and the other level.
As for spontaneous emission, the proper treatment of this event can be done using quantum electrodynamics (QED). It has to do with zero point energy, when you go deeper in QED you will find that vacuum is not really nothing. By quantizing electromagnetic field, it has been found that the absence of photon doesn't mean the energy is zero, I would say it's almost like the case with quantum harmonic oscillator.

Likes afcsimoes
I liked your answer. Than you.

To Blue_Leaf77 attention, please:
In Classic Physics are there some explanation to the spontanity of those phenomenons?

Not even in classical physics. Even semi-classical treatment of the interaction between EM field and atom cannot satisfactorily explain spontaneous emission. Well there is this so-called Einstein A coefficient which is related to the probability of spontaneous emission and which was invented before the birth QED (I think), but I would say that the treatment was more empirical.

1. What is the process of triggering the emission of light by an atomic electron?

The process of triggering the emission of light by an atomic electron is known as photon emission. It occurs when an excited electron in an atom returns to its ground state and releases energy in the form of a photon, or a particle of light.

2. How does an electron become excited and trigger the emission of light?

An electron can become excited through various means, such as absorbing energy from an outside source or colliding with other particles. When it absorbs energy, the electron moves to a higher energy level, and when it returns to its ground state, it releases the excess energy as a photon, triggering the emission of light.

3. What factors affect the wavelength of the light emitted by an atomic electron?

The wavelength of the light emitted by an atomic electron can be affected by the energy level of the electron, the type of atom, and the chemical environment of the atom. Generally, the higher the energy level of the electron, the shorter the wavelength of the emitted light.

4. What is the role of quantum mechanics in triggering the emission of light by an atomic electron?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the process of triggering the emission of light by an atomic electron. It explains how electrons are confined to specific energy levels in an atom and how they transition between these levels, releasing energy in the form of photons.

5. What are some real-life applications of triggering the emission of light by an atomic electron?

The emission of light by atomic electrons has many practical applications, including in technologies such as lasers, fluorescent lights, and LED displays. It is also used in scientific research, such as spectroscopy, to study the composition of materials and identify elements based on their unique emission spectra.