Trigonometric functions: express sin(x) in terms of tan(x)

In summary, to express sin(x) in terms of tan(x), you can use the formula sin(x) = ±(tan(x) / (1 + tan^2(x)). This formula may involve the use of the signum function, sgn(x), to ensure that the correct sign is used in the equation. Additionally, it may be possible to use a piecewise formula to express sine in terms of tangent for certain domains.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I want to express sin(x) in terms of tan(x).

Homework Equations

tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x)
1+tan2(x)=sec2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(x)=cos(x)tan(x)
At this point I realize this is assuming [itex]x\neq \pi/2+k\pi[/itex]

[tex]cos^2(x)=\frac{1}{1+tan^2(x)}[/tex]

therefore, [tex]sin(x)=\frac{tan(x)}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(x)}}[/tex]

But I graphed this and it only looks right half of the time. What I should have is the plus or minus when taking the root of cos2(x) but I need the plus half the time, and the minus the other half of the time and then merge them to describe sin(x) in terms of tan(x).

How should I go about this problem and realize what must be done without the use of graphing tools.

Physics news on Phys.org

Of course you have pinpointed the problem, that being the necessity to have the appropriate sign on the square root. If you multiply your expression by sgn(cos(x)), all will be well except that you may object to having that cosine in your formula. I don't think there is any way to express the sign just in terms of the tangent function because the tangent function has two periods for one for the cosine and sine. You might be able to concoct a formula using greatest integer and mod functions to make a square wave to multiply it by that doesn't involve the cosine, but that is even less satisfactory.

LCKurtz said:
Of course you have pinpointed the problem, that being the necessity to have the appropriate sign on the square root. If you multiply your expression by sgn(cos(x)), all will be well except that you may object to having that cosine in your formula. I don't think there is any way to express the sign just in terms of the tangent function because the tangent function has two periods for one for the cosine and sine. You might be able to concoct a formula using greatest integer and mod functions to make a square wave to multiply it by that doesn't involve the cosine, but that is even less satisfactory.
I'd probably have the most luck concocting a piecewise formula for this case since that is what I have experience in doing. By the way, what is sgn?

Bohrok said:
You should have taken a look here first to find expressing sine with tangent :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trig_identities#Related_identities
The formula there gives [tex]sin(x)=\pm\frac{tanx}{1+tan^2x}[/tex] so by being as brief as possible, this is the best that could be done. They don't mention for what domain it is plus and where is it minus.

Mentallic said:
I'd probably have the most luck concocting a piecewise formula for this case since that is what I have experience in doing. By the way, what is sgn?

sgn is sometimes used as an abbreviation of the signum or "sign" function.

sgn(x) = 1 if x > 0 and -1 if x < 0

That's why sgn(cos(x)) multiplies your answer by the appropriate choice of + or -.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_function

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc).

What is the relationship between sine and tangent?

The relationship between sine and tangent is that sine is the opposite side divided by the hypotenuse, while tangent is the opposite side divided by the adjacent side.

How can I express sine in terms of tangent?

To express sine in terms of tangent, you can use the identity sin(x) = tan(x) / √(1 + tan^2(x)).

Can I use this expression for all values of x?

Yes, this expression is valid for all values of x, including negative and positive values.

How can I use this expression to simplify trigonometric equations?

You can use this expression to convert trigonometric equations involving sine into equations involving tangent, which may be simpler to solve.