Trigonometric Identity Problems

In summary, Daniel.Robert R suggests that it is not clear whether you mean sec theta -1/(1-cos theta) = sec theta or (sec theta -1)/(1- cos theta). Krystal thinks you meant: for question 1[sec(theta) - 1] / [1 - cos(theta)] = sec(theta)If you did then:try writing sec(theta) as 1/cos(theta)then make a common denominator for: 1/cos(theta) -1and continue from there
krystalanderson
Can anyone help me solve the following problems?

sec theta -1/1-cos theta = sec theta

tan (pie/2 - theta) tan theta =1

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation is ambiguous. Could you please add appropriate brackets so we know where the fraction is?

For the second one, do you know the identity for tan(A+B)?

Because that would be a good place to start.

For the second, use the definition of the tangent function.

Daniel.

Robert R's point is that it is not clear whether you mean sec theta -1/(1-cos theta) = sec theta or (sec theta -1)/(1- cos theta). What is the DEFINITION of sec theta? Then try multiplying both sides of the equation by cos theta.

Krystal i think you meant:

for question 1

[sec(theta) - 1] / [1 - cos(theta)] = sec(theta)

if you did then:
try writing sec(theta) as 1/cos(theta)
then make a common denominator for: 1/cos(theta) -1
and continue from there

I have a problem that I cannot get past step one; the problem is verifying the identity:

cos2x(1+cot^2x) = csc^2 - 2 ?

I know that [1 + cot^2x] = [csc^2x]

Thanks for all the help.

nevermind...i got the answer...it was:

(1-2sin^2 x)/sin^2 x = (1-2sin^2 x)/sin^2 x

can anyone help me to solve this problem?
(tanѲ/1-cotѲ)+(cotѲ/1-tanѲ)=1+secѲcscѲ

bomb said:
can anyone help me to solve this problem?

You have posted this on a 4 year old thread.

You may get more help, if you start a new thread and post it there.

trigonometric solver

Without the proper placement of parentheses, or other grouping symbols, what you have written is equivalent to: [itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\tan\theta}{1}-\cot\theta\right)+\left(\frac{\cot\theta}{1}-\tan\theta\right)=1+\sec\theta\,\csc\theta\,.[/itex]

Perhaps you meant: (tanθ/{1-cotθ})+(cotθ/(1-tanθ))=1+secθcscθ, which is the same as: [itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\tan\theta}{1-\cot\theta}\right)+\left(\frac{\cot\theta}{1-\tan\theta}\right)=1+\sec\theta\,\csc\theta\,.[/itex]

To show that [itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\tan\theta}{1-\cot\theta}\right)+\left(\frac{\cot\theta}{1-\tan\theta}\right)=1+\sec\theta\,\csc\theta\,[/itex] is an identity, I suggest writing the tangent & cotangent functions in terms of sine & cosine.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all values of the variables. These identities are useful for simplifying and solving trigonometric equations.

2. What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and an equation?

A trigonometric identity is always true, while an equation may or may not be true depending on the values of the variables. In other words, an identity is an equality that is always true, while an equation is a statement that is only true for specific values.

3. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

There are several methods for proving trigonometric identities, including using algebraic manipulations, the Pythagorean identities, and the double angle or half angle identities. It is also helpful to work with both sides of the equation and simplify them separately before showing that they are equal.

4. Can I use trigonometric identities to solve equations?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be used to solve equations, especially when the equations involve trigonometric functions. By manipulating the equations using identities, it is possible to simplify and solve for the unknown variable.

5. Where can I find a list of trigonometric identities?

You can find a list of common trigonometric identities in a trigonometry textbook or online. It is also helpful to memorize the basic identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, and double and half angle identities, to make solving problems easier.