1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry, different products of sine and cosine

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a right angled triangle, with the following angles, a, b, and 90deg.

If a < b, how many different values are there among the following expressions?

sin a sin b, sin a cos b, cos a sin b, cos a cos b

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont really know any trigonometric identies and im guessing thats where the solution lies :S

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    Here is a trigonometric identity: sin(x) = cos(90 - x)
    Try to use it.

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    :S

sorry i still dont know how i would use it

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    What is the sum of the 3 angles in a triangle?
    And if you know that one of them is a right angle, then what is the sum of the other 2?

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point is that sin(a)= cos(b) and sin(b)= cos(a).

7. Oct 9, 2007 #6
    there are 3 different values there. the oiint in telling you that b>a is to make sure you know that b does not equal to a. because, is b=a, the values for all the expressions will be the same. but in this case, since the 2 angles are different, sina=cosb. also, sinb=cosa. if you don't get this, try drawing out a right-angled triangle and label it's angles. use 3,4,5 as the length of its sides. 5 is the hypothenus. then sub the values into the expressions. you will find that sina sinb=cosa cosb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?