Triple Integral Example: Solving with the Order dydzdx and Correct Bounds

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating a triple integral of (x^6e^y)dV with the given bounds of z=1-y^2, z=0, x=-1, and x=1. The attempt at a solution involves integrating in the order dydzdx and evaluating the integral over a "parabolic tunnel-like volume" between x=-1 and x=1, and from z=0 to z=1-y^2. The result of 2/7 is obtained, but there is some uncertainty about the correctness of the bounds and the possibility of evaluating the integral in a different order.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Triple Integral (x^6e^y)dV bounded by z=1-y^2 z=0 x=-1 x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I chose to try to integrate this in the order dydzdx
My bounds for the dy integral were from zero to (1-z)^(1/2)
my bounds for the dz integral were from 0 to 1
and my bounds for the dx integral were from -1 to 1.

I did the whole crazy integral and got 2/7 which my online thing is saying is wrong X_x doh...

Do these bounds look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure which integration region is meant here, because it sounds not very well defined. I guess, it's meant to integrate over a "paraboloic tunnel-like volume" between [itex]x=-1[/itex] and [itex]x=1[/itex] and from [itex]z=0[/itex] to [itex]z=1-y^2 > 0[/itex]. This implies that also [itex]y \in [-1,1][/itex]. Then your integral would read
[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} y \int_0^{1-y^2} \mathrm{d} z x^6 \exp y.[/tex]
Perhaps this gives the correct result?

yes, I believe it does. What would the integral look like if I evaluated dydzdx? would y go from 0 to (1-z)^(1/2) and z go from 0 to 1?

Hm, if you want to do the [itex]y[/itex] integral first (which I'd consider a bad idea if I think about it ;-)), then for each [itex]z \in [0,1][/itex] it should run in [itex]y \in [-\sqrt{1-z},\sqrt{1-z}][/itex]. Then the integral would be
[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \int_0^1 \mathrm{d} z \int_{-\sqrt{1-z}}^{\sqrt{1-z}} \mathrm{d} y \; x^6 \exp y.[/tex]
Mathematica tells me that this gives the same result as it should be, but after the [itex]y[/itex] integral which is a bit easier in this way, the [itex]z[/itex] integral looks pretty cumbersome!

Related to Triple Integral Example: Solving with the Order dydzdx and Correct Bounds

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region and is represented by three nested integrals.

2. How do I solve a triple integral?

To solve a triple integral, you need to first determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can evaluate the integral by using the appropriate integration techniques, such as the substitution method or the use of trigonometric identities.

3. What are some real-life applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various real-world applications, such as determining the mass of a three-dimensional object, calculating the center of mass of a solid, and finding the volume of a fluid in a container with varying density.

4. Can a triple integral represent a physical quantity?

Yes, a triple integral can represent a physical quantity, such as volume, mass, or density. It is a useful tool in physics and engineering for solving problems involving three-dimensional objects or systems.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a triple integral?

Some common mistakes when solving a triple integral include incorrect limits of integration, incorrect use of integration techniques, and forgetting to include all the necessary variables in the integrand. It is important to carefully set up the integral and double-check the calculations to avoid these errors.