How Do You Solve the Third Integral in a Triple Integral Problem?

In summary, the limits of integration for the given equation are s[0,R], p[0,2π], and z[0,L]. The first two integrals have been correctly set up with respect to s and p. To solve the integral with respect to z, the substitution u = d-z can be used, leading to the integral 2πkp∫[sqrt(R^2+u^2) - u]du. This can be solved using trigonometric substitution or by using the substitution v = R^2+u^2. Once solved, the limits of integration for z (0 and L) should be included in the final answer.
acedeno

Homework Statement

the limits of integration are s[0,R] p[0,2π] z[0,L] respectively

kp∫∫∫s/sqrt(s^2+(d-z)^2)dsdpdz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You can double check my work but I'm pretty sure I got the first to integrations fine (with respect to s and p), I'm just not sure about how to do the third integral with respect to z

so basically I'm stuck here:

2πkp∫[sqrt(R^2+(d-z)^2) - (d-z)]dz

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work with us. It looks like you have correctly set up the first two integrations with respect to s and p. To solve the third integral with respect to z, you can use the substitution u = d-z. This will allow you to rewrite the integral as:

2πkp∫[sqrt(R^2+u^2) - u]du

This integral can be solved using trigonometric substitution or by using the substitution v = R^2+u^2. Once you have solved the integral, don't forget to substitute back in for u = d-z and include the limits of integration for z, which are 0 and L.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

FAQ: How Do You Solve the Third Integral in a Triple Integral Problem?

What is a triple integral problem?

A triple integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional region or finding the average value of a function over a three-dimensional region.

What are the applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve problems related to finding mass, center of mass, moments of inertia, and probability distributions.

How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you need to identify the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) and the integrand (the function being integrated). These limits are determined by the bounds of the three-dimensional region being integrated over.

What are the different methods for solving triple integrals?

There are several methods for solving triple integrals, including using rectangular, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates. Each method is useful for different types of problems and can help simplify the integral.

What are some common mistakes when solving triple integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving triple integrals include incorrectly setting up the limits of integration, forgetting to include the differential (dx, dy, dz) in the integral, and making mistakes in converting between coordinate systems. It is important to carefully check each step and double-check your work to avoid these errors.

Back