Triple integral with an image given

In summary, the user attempted to integrate the function f(xyz)=−4x+6y over the solid given by the figure below, if P = (5,1,0) and Q = (-5,1,5). However, their range for theta was incorrect, and they were unable to solve the equation for z.
batmankiller

Homework Statement

Integrate the function f(xyz)=−4x+6y over the solid given by the figure below, if P = (5,1,0) and Q = (-5,1,5).
sfig16-8-1g1.gif

where P=(5,1,0) and Q=(-5,1,5)

Homework Equations

r²=x²+y²
tan theta=y/x
z=z
y=rsintheta
x=rcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

So I treated this as a cylindrical coordinates and first changed f(x,y,z)=6y-4x into f(r, theta, z)=6rsin(th)-4rcos(th)

Then I got the limits by finding r which is sqrt(26). 0<=r<=sqrt(26)
Next, I loked for theta so I that's -arctan(5)<=theta<=arctan(5)
Finally z=z so z goes from 0 to 5 as shown in the picture. 0<=z<=5

I integrated all this and got 1733.3333333333, which was wrong. Can someone tell me what I'm doing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
batmankiller said:

Homework Statement

Integrate the function f(xyz)=−4x+6y over the solid given by the figure below, if P = (5,1,0) and Q = (-5,1,5).
sfig16-8-1g1.gif

where P=(5,1,0) and Q=(-5,1,5)

Homework Equations

r²=x²+y²
tan theta=y/x
z=z
y=rsintheta
x=rcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

So I treated this as a cylindrical coordinates and first changed f(x,y,z)=6y-4x into f(r, theta, z)=6rsin(th)-4rcos(th)

Then I got the limits by finding r which is sqrt(26). 0<=r<=sqrt(26)
Next, I loked for theta so I that's -arctan(5)<=theta<=arctan(5)
Finally z=z so z goes from 0 to 5 as shown in the picture. 0<=z<=5

I integrated all this and got 1733.3333333333, which was wrong. Can someone tell me what I'm doing here?

Your range for theta is wrong. It is -1/5 <= theta <= 1/5.

ok i changed the theta and got 346.. but the answer is still wrong =[

batmankiller said:
ok i changed the theta and got 346.. but the answer is still wrong =[
Show what you did and we'll see if we can find what's wrong.

1. What is a triple integral with an image given?

A triple integral with an image given is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object represented by an image. It involves breaking down the object into infinitesimal pieces and integrating their volume over the entire region.

2. How is a triple integral with an image given different from a regular triple integral?

A triple integral with an image given is different from a regular triple integral because it involves using an image to define the boundaries of the integration. This allows for a more accurate and visual representation of the object being integrated.

3. What are the applications of using a triple integral with an image given?

A triple integral with an image given is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of complex three-dimensional objects. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to model and render realistic 3D scenes.

4. How do you set up a triple integral with an image given?

To set up a triple integral with an image given, first identify the boundaries of the integral by examining the image. Then, determine the order of integration (either dx dy dz or dy dz dx or dz dx dy) and set up the limits of integration for each variable based on the identified boundaries.

5. What are some common challenges when solving a triple integral with an image given?

Some common challenges when solving a triple integral with an image given include accurately identifying the boundaries of the integral, determining the correct order of integration, and setting up the limits of integration correctly. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and three-dimensional geometry.