Triple integration - find volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the evaluation of a triple integral in polar coordinates. The question asks for the volume under a paraboloid, but the given integral does not represent a volume. The solution involves converting the integral to polar form, with r in the middle, and evaluating the integral using polar substitutions. The expression in the middle of the integral is not always 1, as it depends on the specific problem being solved.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2017-11-12 上午11.34.45.png
螢幕快照 2017-11-12 上午11.34.57.png

Homework Equations

in the pic

The Attempt at a Solution

why is there an extra "r" in the highlighted line?

my attempt:
## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^41\ dy\ r\ dr\ d\theta ##
= ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\left(4-r^2\right)\ r\ dr\ d\theta##

thanks

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-11-12 上午11.34.45.png
    螢幕快照 2017-11-12 上午11.34.45.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 690
  • 螢幕快照 2017-11-12 上午11.34.57.png
    螢幕快照 2017-11-12 上午11.34.57.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 678
Physics news on Phys.org
yecko said:
why is there an extra "r" in the highlighted line?
Because it is part of the correct form of the differential area in polar coordinates.
$$dA=r\;dr\;d\theta$$

Likes MarekKuzmicki
yecko said:
##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^41\ dy\ r\ dr\ d\theta##
I have considered r dr dθ already in my calculation... but the answer is r *r *dr*dθ

yecko said:
I have considered r dr dθ already in my calculation... but the answer is r *r *dr*dθ
It comes from the substitutions for polar coordinates in the x-z plane, for the expression ##\sqrt{x^2 + z^2}##. This is explained in the example where they use ##x = r\cos(\theta)## and ##z = r\sin(\theta)##.

Mark44 said:
√x^2+z
but why is there exists this expression in the first line of the second pic?
isn't that always 1 in the middle and integrate by looking at the boundaries for the triple integration?

my attempt : ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^41\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ##
mechanism: I would like to get the height first, then get the area of the cylinder

(my concepts are a little bit messy... sorry for that... and thank you very much for your patience)

yecko said:
but why is there exists this expression in the first line of the second pic?
isn't that always 1 in the middle and integrate by looking at the boundaries for the triple integration?
my attempt : ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^41\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ##

(my concepts are a little bit messy... sorry for that... and thank you very much for your patience)
If the goal is to find the volume using a triple integral, then the integrand will be 1, something like this ##\iiint_E 1~dV##.
However, in this problem you are asked to evaluate an integral that doesn't represent a volume.

the solution: ## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ ##
so why the solution put r in the middle?

yecko said:
the solution: ## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ ##
I don't know what you're talking about. The solution in the example you posted doesn't have y in it. They converted the integral to polar form - no x, y, or z.

Mark44 said:
I don't know what you're talking about. The solution in the example you posted doesn't have y in it. They converted the integral to polar form - no x, y, or z.
its the same...
##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ## =## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\left(4-r^2\right)r\ \ r\ dr\ dθ##

yecko said:
its the same...
##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ## =## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\left(4-r^2\right)r\ \ r\ dr\ dθ##

I don't know. It seems that you put it in the middle, since the textbook image you posted doesn't have this integral in it - ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ##.

You could rewrite that integral like so: ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4\ dy\ r^2\ dr\ dθ##, and it wouldn't make any difference - you get the same integral as shown on the right in what I quoted from you.

But why not## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^41\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ## which is 1 in the middle?
why is solution is ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ## = ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\left(4-r^2\right)r\ \ r\ dr\ dθ## ?

Mark44 said:
However, in this problem you are asked to evaluate an integral that doesn't represent a volume
it is asking for volume in the question...

yecko said:
But why not## \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^41\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ## which is 1 in the middle?
You keep asking this question, which was answered in posts #2 and #4. What parts of those posts do you not understand?
yecko said:
why is solution is ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\int_{r^2}^4r\ dy\ r\ dr\ dθ## = ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^2\left(4-r^2\right)r\ \ r\ dr\ dθ## ?it is asking for volume in the question...
NO, IT IS NOT!
As it says in the image you posted,
Evaluate ##\iiint_E \sqrt{x^2 + z^2}~dV##, where E is the region bounded by the paraboloid ##y = x^2 + z^2## and the plane ##y = 4##.
This is NOT a volume integral!

Please take more care in your reading.

Mark44 said:
If the goal is to find the volume using a triple integral, then the integrand will be 1, something like this ##\iiint_E 1~dV##.
However, in this problem you are asked to evaluate an integral that doesn't represent a volume.
it is not a volume, so it is just a physically-meaning mathematics expression?
i see. thanks for telling me.

1. What is triple integration and how is it used to find volume?

Triple integration is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of three-dimensional objects. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region using three different variables. This process is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What are the steps for performing triple integration to find volume?

The first step is to identify the limits of integration, which define the boundaries of the three-dimensional region. Then, choose the order of integration for the three variables. Next, set up the triple integral using the appropriate limits of integration and the function representing the volume. Finally, evaluate the integral to find the volume.

3. Can triple integration be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional object?

Yes, triple integration can be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional object, as long as the limits of integration and the function representing the volume are properly defined. However, for more complex shapes, the calculation may be time-consuming and require advanced mathematical techniques.

4. Are there any real-world applications of triple integration for finding volume?

Yes, triple integration is commonly used in fields such as fluid mechanics, where it can be used to calculate the volume of a fluid in a three-dimensional space. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate the volume of three-dimensional objects in virtual environments.

5. Is there a more efficient method for finding volume than triple integration?

Yes, for certain types of objects, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres, there are specialized formulas that can be used to find the volume without the need for triple integration. However, for more complex shapes, triple integration is often the most accurate and efficient method for finding volume.