1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integration for volume

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1
    I have a group of problems that deals with the equations:

f(x,y)= x^2+y^2

Can someone help find the triple integral to find the volume.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    I would start off by making at the very least a rough sketch of the volume you are trying to find, that way you can find out the boundaries you are dealing with.
  4. Nov 4, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might help to clarify the problem: functions don't HAVE a volume!

If you mean "find the volume of the region bounded by z= x2+ y2 (a paraboloid) and z= 20- (x-4)2- (y+2)2 (also a paraboloid)" then you need to determine where the two paraboloids intersect and "project" that down to the xy-plane.

I get (x+2)2+ (y-1)2= 5, a circle. Subtract the two "z" values and integrate over that circle.

(Please do not post the same question twice!)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  5. Nov 4, 2004 #4
    Thanks for the help. I have problems with finding the intersection and projecting that on the x-y plane. We cannot use graphing calculators. Are there any easy ways to sketch the functions and/or find the intersection?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?