Triple Integration of a Sphere in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the student was trying to find the volume of a sphere by solving a triple integral. They had correct bounds but were missing the volume element.
Zarlucicil

Homework Statement

The problem was to find the volume enclosed by a sphere of radius "a" centered on the origin by crafting a triple integral and solving for it using cylindrical coordinates.

Homework Equations

[tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=a^{2}[/tex] : Equation for a sphere of radius "a" centered on the origin.

[tex]\iiint\limits_E dV[/tex] : Triple integral for finding volume of a region [tex]E[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the triple integral (but I don't think it's right) and got this: [tex]\frac{4}{3}a^{2}\pi[/tex] ---> Actually, I think I solved the integral right, but I think my bounds are incorrect.

I used the following as my bounds and subsequent iterated integral:

[tex]E=\{ \ (r,\theta,z) \ | \ 0\leq r\leq a, \ 0\leq \theta\leq 2\pi, \ -\sqrt{a^2-r^2}\leq z\leq \sqrt{a^2-r^2} \ \}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}_{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}} dz dr d\theta[/tex]

If my proposed answer isn't right could the problem lie within my bounds? I'm not really great at determining the bounds for iterated integrals yet >.<'

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zarlucicil! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Zarlucicil said:
The problem was to find the volume enclosed by a sphere of radius "a" centered on the origin by crafting a triple integral and solving for it using cylindrical coordinates.

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}_{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}} dz dr d\theta[/tex]

erm :redface: … it isn't dz dr dθ, it's … ? :smile:

Well, your bounds are in fact correct. What's missing is a volume element, namely, you need to have [tex]r drd\theta dz[/tex]. But maybe you just missed it, since without it you probably won't get the final answer you mentioned (which isn't correct by the way - you need [tex]4\pi a^3/3[/tex]).

You can also write [tex]r[/tex] in terms of [tex]z[/tex], which is in my opinion a bit more intuitive. In that case you get:

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{-a}_{a}\int^{0}_{\sqrt{a^2-z^2}} r dr dz d\theta[/tex]

Gives the same answer ofcourse.

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the replies, I understand what I did wrong now :D. I can't believe I missed the volume element, ughhh. O well.

Related to Triple Integration of a Sphere in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What is a triple integration of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integration of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical process used to calculate the volume of a sphere in three-dimensional space using cylindrical coordinates. It involves integrating the function representing the sphere over three variables - r, θ, and z - to find the total volume of the sphere.

2. Why is cylindrical coordinates used for the triple integration of a sphere?

Cylindrical coordinates are used for the triple integration of a sphere because they are well-suited for problems involving cylindrical or spherical symmetry. The spherical shape of the sphere can be easily represented using the radial distance (r) and angular distance (θ) in cylindrical coordinates, making the integration process simpler and more efficient.

3. How is the triple integration of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates performed?

The triple integration of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is performed by integrating the function representing the sphere over the three variables - r, θ, and z - using the appropriate limits of integration. This involves breaking down the sphere into smaller cylindrical shells and integrating them one by one, with the limits of integration changing as the shells get smaller.

4. What are the benefits of using cylindrical coordinates for the triple integration of a sphere?

Using cylindrical coordinates for the triple integration of a sphere offers several benefits, such as simplifying the integration process, improving efficiency, and allowing for easier representation of spherical or cylindrical shapes. Cylindrical coordinates can also be used to solve other types of problems involving cylindrical symmetry, making them a versatile tool in mathematical and scientific calculations.

5. Are there any challenges associated with the triple integration of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, there are some challenges associated with the triple integration of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates. One of the main challenges is determining the appropriate limits of integration, which can be complex and time-consuming for certain problems. Additionally, the use of cylindrical coordinates may not be suitable for all types of problems, and alternative coordinate systems may need to be used in those cases.