Trouble calculating the Reynolds number

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in calculating the Reynolds number for two spear shafts underwater. The tips of the shafts are streamlined, and the fluid is seawater at 20 degrees. Various equations and formulas for calculating skin friction are mentioned, but it is emphasized that they may not all be applicable in this situation. The importance of accounting for the local diameter at each point along the shaft is also highlighted. Ultimately, the goal is to compare the drag on the two different spears in order to determine which has more kinetic energy and momentum at a given range.
spearo
Hi,

I am having trouble calculating the reynolds number for 2 spear shafts underwater. The two shafts vary in diameter and velocity. The tips are identical, stream lined to a fine point so the flow should be laminar. Both spears are 1.9304 m long. The diameters are 11/32" (8.73125mm) and 3/8" (9.525mm) and their respective velocities are 48.33 m/s and 43.062 m/s.

I assume they will have little or no form drag (please feel free to correct me) and therefore I am focusing on skin friction. The fluid is seawater at 20 degrees.

I tried the calculation and got a ridiculous value over ninety million ((48.33*1.9304)/ 1.004 * 10^-6). I used Re=V.L/mu. I can't move on to F=Cf(pV^2/2)S wetted with this value. Where have I gone wrong? Is the reynolds equation different for such an object?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize that that kinematic viscosity is for water not seawater but that is not the problem as I still got ~88 mllion...

Last edited:
This is not a coursework question to be clear, it is the science behind a homemade speargun DIY project. The velocities were estimated based on the mass of the components and the force of the rubbers.

You should be using the local diameter at each location along the shaft, not the length.

Chet

Could you please explain a little further, surely the length has some significance as it determines the "skin". which of these is appropriate to this shape as they do not all have reference to Re. I am finding so much mixed information.

1/7 power law:

a04bb9cfde2535ee12bafb8230eed400.png

1/7 power law with experimental calibration (equation 21.12 in [3]):

53455b667f87de1932b13bfad7b236cc.png

Schlichting (equation 21.16 footnote in [3])

ca4dc895c55260e9f9244eb0465141c8.png

Schultz-Grunov (equation 21.19a in [3]):

34492727370cbb6fa12a571f65a1388a.png

(equation 38 in [1]):

6b722dfedfa5a84f978143275e6b2a7e.png

The following skin friction formulas are extracted from [2],p.19. Proper reference needed:

Prandtl (1927):

bea62c567d91d316e017752dec56bc17.png

Telfer (1927):

cc11e99bae6e80d3e892d84d94ace25c.png

Prandtl-Schlichting (1932):

5467f64b95b410d418b2e5257ccfa842.png

Schoenherr (1932):

0517e14ad72f9e240a9d537681a68a5f.png

Schultz-Grunov (1940):

bd032a44b9b3e0efb177d2095586e673.png

Kempf-Karman (1951):

e045707973b63e33c9478a7a6fa600db.png

Lap-Troost (1952):

a06720ea4112676a8dfddf461267897c.png

Landweber (1953):

e3275545f39f2589f820703fbf0e68c5.png

Hughes (1954):

ba51e1668f07b0b204e2661190ccab3b.png

Wieghard (1955):

41d1dfc26b81ccb5141b86a44dc0e35e.png

ITTC (1957):

281d43a24f91a71bc89512dfd0e1e13c.png

Gadd (1967):

97f180fb245f42f56db823a0433fe82a.png

Granville (1977):

f858769b3aa5a365c535e5bf15745491.png

Date Turnock (1999):

dc3b85bc6b0d869a9a558363fd876afb.png

These equations that you have written are all for axial flow along a cylinder, correct? Or are they for flow over a flat plate?

Let's just consider the case of a cylinder, and neglect the drag in the vicinity of the leading edge. So, you are going to get a boundary layer building up along the cylinder, starting at the leading edge, and growing toward the trailing edge. At some point, if the flow is laminar, the thickness of the boundary layer is going to be larger than the radial dimension of the shaft, and the flow will no longer be like flow over a flat plate (i.e., negligible curvature normal to the flow). So the cylindrical (curved geometry) would dominate.

But, no matter how streamlined you make the tip, the boundary layer is rapidly going to become turbulent. Some of these correlations are definitely for turbulent flow. If the correlations you are using are for turbulent axial flow along a cylinder, then you should be OK. The 90 million for the Rex is not a concern (to me).

Chet

And before you ask, there is no magical Reynolds number at which laminar-turbulent transition occurs. You have to determine that experimentally or else just make assumptions (such as entirely turbulent flow, which would over-estimate drag).

Thankyou for your insights.

To be honest I am not sure if they are the appropriate equations as the source only made reference to laminar and turbulent flow. Based on what you said then I take it there will be turbulent flow, not laminar? Sorry for all the questions I have not studied maths or physics for years. Regarding what you said about the local diameter, which in this case will not change, what should I sub into the reynolds equation in place of the length?

Bonehead,

Is it a range than similar to the transonic region for airfoils?

You also have to be careful applying some of these Cf equations, since they are not all derived for the same physical phenomenon.

In particular, the ITTC equation is used when correlating the friction drag from a model test to a full-sized vessel. In a model test, for example, the total resistance of the model is measured, but Froude showed that the total resistance of a vessel is composed of the frictional resistance, which is a function of the Reynold's number, plus the residuary, or wave-making resistance, which depends on the shape of the hull and the speed, among other factors. In a model test, trying to obtain the same Reynold's number for the model as the full-sized vessel would mean that the model would have to be towed at a very high speed, giving unrealistic values for the residuary resistance. To overcome this problem with Reynolds scaling, an empirical equation like the ITTC line was developed to allow for the model test friction to be separated out of the total resistance of the model, and then the frictional resistance could be scaled up using the Reynold's number for the full-sized vessel.

The danger in grabbing up a bagful of different formulas is that you may not realize that each has a different purpose, although similar symbology may be used.

So which one should I use? I posted them all to illustrate why this is confusing. I want to be able to compare the drag on the 2 different spears at the stated velocities to determine which is has more kinetic energy and momentum at a given range. I understand that it will only be an approximation but one will be better than the other and that is the point. It will be expensive and time consuming to determine this outcome experimentally.

spearo said:
So which one should I use? I posted them all to illustrate why this is confusing. I want to be able to compare the drag on the 2 different spears at the stated velocities to determine which is has more kinetic energy and momentum at a given range. I understand that it will only be an approximation but one will be better than the other and that is the point. It will be expensive and time consuming to determine this outcome experimentally.
I can't tell you which formula to use without researching them all. Some equations may be for model testing ships (which travel along the water-air interface), some may be for airfoils, etc.

The best advice I can give is to find someone who has determined the drag of a spear fired underwater and written a paper on the method of analysis. If you can't find a paper about spears, then you'll have to settle for a situation which most closely resembles a long, narrow cylinder moving in a completely submerged manner.

spearo said:
Bonehead,

Is it a range than similar to the transonic region for airfoils?

Well yes, the transition region is nonzero in length. The distance it takes to transition from laminar to turbulent flow is variable depending on the situation though. You will most likely have a mix of laminar and turbulent flow and there really isn't a great way to determine where the transition occurs without experiments.

I found a study on sonar arrays being dragged through the ocean, I will post it when I find it again. The diameter was only 1mm however and the length was 100m in a 900m test tank. Before I read this comprehensive report would this be appropriate? If it cannot be estimated and I make a test model out of pine, what instrumentation do I need to test drag?

It can be estimated. It just depends on how accurate your estimate needs to be.

What is the Reynolds number?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid mechanics to predict the type of flow that will occur in a given situation. It is named after Osborne Reynolds, who first described its significance in 1883.

Why is the Reynolds number important?

The Reynolds number helps determine whether a flow will be laminar or turbulent. This is crucial in many engineering and scientific applications, as different types of flow have different properties and behaviors that affect the overall system.

How do you calculate the Reynolds number?

The Reynolds number can be calculated by dividing the product of the fluid velocity, characteristic length, and fluid density by the fluid viscosity. The resulting value is a dimensionless number that indicates the type of flow.

What is the characteristic length in the Reynolds number formula?

The characteristic length is a measure of the size of the object or system that the fluid is flowing around. It can vary depending on the specific situation, but is typically the diameter or length of the object.

What are the applications of the Reynolds number?

The Reynolds number has many applications in various fields, including aerospace, automotive, and biomedical engineering. It is used to predict flow patterns, pressure drops, and heat transfer rates in different systems, helping engineers and scientists design and optimize their designs.