Trouble with electric force question

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with an electric force question. They provide the relevant equations and their attempt at a solution, but are struggling to find their mistake. Another user points out that the mistake may be in their calculation of the distance for q(1/3).
con31773

Homework Statement

I'm having a little trouble with an electric force question I have been working on. It seems simple, but my answer keeps coming out incorrect. Using the graph, deduce the electric force vector on charge q3 by q1/2. In case it is not clear, q3 lies on point (2,2)
Graph.jpg

Homework Equations

F=(kq1q2)/r^2*[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, well since electric force vectors simply add to give resultant force I can deduced the individual vectors and sum, as such.

F(1/3)=(kq1q3)/r^2*[itex]\hat{r}[/itex](1/3)

and the same applies to the second charge

F(2/3)=(kq3q2)/r^2*[itex]\hat{r}[/itex](2/3)

then I deduced r for both. Simply being 2 for q(2/3), and 5 for q(1/3) (from pythagoras)
Then, the unit vectors, as (2[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{j}[/itex])/5 for q(1/3)
and [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] for q(2/3)

Put it together I got
F(1/3)=((kq1q3)/25)(2[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{j}[/itex])

F(2/3)=((kq2q3)/4)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

Evaluate and sum, I got, 0.367[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]-0.412[itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

which of course is not correct. I'm sure there is a mistake in there but can not find it. Would be greatful for some fresh eyes to tell me where.

Thank you in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello con31772 and welcome to PF!

con31773 said:
then I deduced r for both. Simply being 2 for q(2/3), and 5 for q(1/3)

Oops. Check what you got for r for q(1/3).

Oops. Check what you got for r for q(1/3)

Haha, thanks very much. Could not find my mistake at all.

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between objects with opposite and like charges, respectively.

2. What causes electric force?

Electric force is caused by the presence of electric charges. These charges can be either positive or negative, and they exert a force on each other based on their magnitude and distance from each other.

3. How is electric force measured?

Electric force is measured in units of Newtons (N), which is the same unit used to measure other types of forces. The magnitude of the electric force between two charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which takes into account the distance between the charges and their magnitude.

4. Can electric force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, electric force can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. Conductors, such as metal, allow electric charges to flow freely and thus can shield or block electric force. Insulators, on the other hand, do not allow electric charges to flow and therefore do not shield or block electric force.

5. How does electric force affect objects?

Electric force can affect objects in several ways. It can cause objects to repel or attract each other, depending on their charges. It can also cause objects to gain or lose electrons, leading to the buildup of static electricity. In more extreme cases, electric force can cause objects to heat up or even break apart if the forces are strong enough.