Troubleshooting Multisim Simulation of 4017 Chip

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with simulating the 4017 chip in multisim and the use of the 74hc4017 in reality. The person suspects incorrect wiring and doubts the simulation accuracy. They provide links to resources for the datasheet and circuit diagram. After some troubleshooting and advice from others, they were able to resolve the issue by amplifying the signal with inverters. They also mention their plans to use the actual chip in the future.
roeb
I am attempting to simulate the 4017 chip in multisim but I am not getting the expected result. I doubt that multisim is incorrectly simulating the chip, so I think that I am probably just hooking it up incorrectly.

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4017.htm"
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/pdf_files/4017.pdf"

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9333/multisimxr7.th.png

As you can see from the picture, I am giving the 4017 a square wave input and everything works except ~Q5-9 doesn't seem to work at all. For some reason, I can't seem to get ~Q5-9 to change from 0 V no matter what I do. According to the doctronics website and the datasheet, this pin should be high when Q0 to Q4 is high... but it never is.

Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly? Unfortunately I do not have the actual chip to do this in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's very hard to read how you have it hooked up from your diagram. Have you connected all the enables? Power, reset, etc.?

I don't know about multisim but, how do you set the trigger source of XSC1?

Thanks for your replies,

I was able to get it to work correctly after putting two inverters in series with the ~O5-9 output to amplify the signal.

I don't see why I needed to amplify this signal when the other outputs work just fine...
In reality I plan on using the 74hc4017 not the cmos version but I hope that I won't have to do that once I get the actual chips.

1. How do I troubleshoot a simulation error with the 4017 chip in Multisim?

There are several potential causes for a simulation error with the 4017 chip in Multisim. First, check that all connections to the chip are correct and that the chip has the correct power supply and clock signals. If those are all correct, then the issue may be with the component model or parameters. Try using a different model or adjusting the simulation settings to see if that resolves the error.

2. Why is my simulation of the 4017 chip in Multisim not matching my expected results?

If your simulation results are not matching your expected results, there may be an issue with the circuit design or the component parameters. Double check that all connections and component values are correct. You can also try adjusting simulation settings such as time step or transient analysis length to see if that affects the results.

3. How do I troubleshoot unexpected behavior in my simulation of the 4017 chip in Multisim?

If your simulation is exhibiting unexpected behavior, such as incorrect outputs or unexpected oscillations, check that all connections are correct and that the component values are accurate. You can also try adjusting the simulation settings or using a different model for the chip to see if that resolves the issue.

4. Why am I getting an error message about the 4017 chip not being recognized in Multisim?

If you are receiving an error message stating that the 4017 chip is not recognized in Multisim, it may be due to a missing or outdated component library. Make sure that you have the latest version of the Multisim software and that all necessary libraries are installed. You can also try manually adding the component to your library if it is not included by default.

5. How do I troubleshoot a simulation that is running slowly with the 4017 chip in Multisim?

If your simulation is running slowly with the 4017 chip in Multisim, try adjusting the simulation settings to decrease the time step or shorten the transient analysis length. You can also try simplifying the circuit design or using a different model for the chip to see if that improves simulation speed.