True of false about partial derivative

In summary, a partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It differs from a regular derivative in that it takes into account all other variables. The truth or falsity of a statement about a partial derivative depends on whether it accurately describes the rate of change of the function. Partial derivatives can be negative if the function is decreasing in the direction of the variable being considered. They have various real-world applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.
zhuyilun

Homework Statement

if (2,1) is a critical point of f and fxx(2,1)fyy(2,1) < (fxy(2,1))^2
then f has a saddle point at (2,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think its right
but it turns out to be wrong
can someone tell me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't it need fx(2,1) = fy(2,1) = 0 as well?

lanedance said:
wouldn't it need fx(2,1) = fy(2,1) = 0 as well?

could you please explain it a little bit more?

ok now i see it is already a critical point, i would agree with you then

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

3. What does it mean for a statement about a partial derivative to be true or false?

A statement about a partial derivative can be true or false depending on whether the rate of change of the function in question is correctly described by the statement.

4. Can a partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative can be negative if the rate of change of the function is decreasing in the direction of the variable being considered.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields of science and engineering to analyze and model systems that involve multiple variables changing simultaneously. Examples include economics, physics, and engineering.