Trying to prove dual of there are at least tree points on every line

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to prove the dual of the statement "there are at least three points on every line." The participants discuss various propositions and extensions, such as the existence of at least four points not on the same line and the existence of at least one line. They also consider different ways to word the statement in question. One participant mentions a possible counterexample involving only one point and no lines. Another suggests getting a better book on the topic, such as "Foundations of Projective Geometry" by Robin Hartshorne.
A_B
trying to prove dual of "there are at least tree points on every line"

Hi,

Assuming the propositions of incidence:
(1) on any two distinct points is at least one line.
(2) on any two distinct points is at most one line.
(3) on any two distinct lines is at least one point.

and the extensions
(4) not all points are on the same line.
(5) There are at least three points on every line.

I am asked to prove the dual of (5), that is, "there are at least 3 lines on every point."
(The duals of all other statements above have already been proven.)

Perhaps there is something I'm missing (and that's the reason for posting) but it seems to me that if only one point exists (call it P) and no lines then (1), (2), (3), (4) and (5) are all vacuously true. So this would present a counterexample to the sought-after theorem.

thanks!
A_B

Physics news on Phys.org

i agree with you.

Can you word (4) more precisely?

Hi, thanks for the replies

(4) could be alternatively worded as

(4) There is no line such that all points lie on that line

And since in the case where there is only one point there is no line, this is vacuously true.

I've been looking at places other than the book I'm working through, and the condition

(A) there exist four points, no three of which are on the same line

is often added in a similar set of axioms. See for example http://www.math.cornell.edu/~web4520/CG3-0.pdf

Now it is obvious that (4) follow from (A), and according to the text linked to above, (5) will also follow (exercise 6 (a)).

I ran into this problem when beginning to work through "An Introduction to Projective Geometry" by O'Hara and Ward : http://archive.org/details/introductiontopr033583mbp.

Is anyone familiar with this book?
Would anyone suggest a better book?

Thanks,
A_B

rejoice!

If we take (1), (2) and (3) be be true and we consider the 'rival' extensions:

I. : (4) , (5) AND (6) THERE EXISTS AT LEAST ONE LINE

II. : (A)

Then I and II are equivalent.

I => II

since there is a line (a) (6), there are 3 points (A, B, C) on that line (5). But no line contains all points (4), so there must exist a fourth point (D) not on the line. But then there exists a line (b) on which lie the points A and D (1). The line (b) can not lie on either (B) or (C), since if it were, it would be equal to line (a) (2). So only points (A) and (D) lie on (b) so there must exist a point (E) distinct from all other points so far mentioned that is on (b). The points (B), (C), (D) and (E) satisfy II..

II => I

II => (4)
follows immediately

II => (5)
an excercise for the reader, hehe...
It is an excercise (6 a) here: http://www.math.cornell.edu/~web4520/CG3-0.pdf.

II => (6)
also follows immediately.

Clearly though, (6) is "yet another addition" to the extension, only there to exclude simple cases. The alternative II. seems preferable.

Still interested in better book suggestion though.

A_B

A_B said:
Hi, thanks for the replies

(4) could be alternatively worded as

(4) There is no line such that all points lie on that line
That's one way, but what was intended by the textbook? Another way it could be worded is
(4) There exists a line and a point not on that line​

I have copied (4) "not all points are on the same line" directly from the book, I don't think that "There exists a line and a point not on that line" is equivalent to (4) as stated, thoughit does indeed solve the problem and it may indeed have been the meaning intended by the author.

Anyways, the book says "For the present they will suffice, but later more definite propositions will be substituted" about these extensions, so I suppose I shouldn't be too troubled by this problem.

A_B

I assume that

Is not saying that there is a point that exists on BOTH lines, since that would be incorrect for parallel lines (or any lines in 3D that do not intersect)

phinds said:
I assume that

Is not saying that there is a point that exists on BOTH lines, since that would be incorrect for parallel lines (or any lines in 3D that do not intersect)

That's exactly what it's saying. The notion of parallel lines is a euclidean (or affine) one, in projective geometry, all lines have a point in common. Think of a drawing of a railway track, while the rails never meet (Euclidean), the lines that represent them in the drawing do meet on the horizon. The drawing is a projection.

Hurkyl said:
That's one way, but what was intended by the textbook? Another way it could be worded is
(4) There exists a line and a point not on that line​
That's not exactly the same thing since the original statement does NOT imply that a line exists. Perhaps "if L is a line then there exit point P not on line L".

i recommend you get a better book, hartshorne, hilbert...

1. What is the dual of "there are at least three points on every line"?

The dual of this statement is "there are at least three lines through every point."

2. How can we prove the dual of "there are at least three points on every line"?

We can use a proof by contradiction to prove the dual of this statement. Assume that there is a point that does not have at least three lines passing through it. This would contradict the original statement, therefore proving the dual to be true.

3. Is the dual of "there are at least three points on every line" equivalent to the original statement?

Yes, the dual of a statement is logically equivalent to the original statement. This means that if one statement is true, the dual statement must also be true.

4. What is an example to illustrate the dual of "there are at least three points on every line"?

An example would be a triangle. In a triangle, there are at least three points on every line (the sides), and there are also at least three lines through every point (the vertices).

5. Can the dual of "there are at least three points on every line" be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the dual of this statement can be generalized to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, the dual would be "there are at least four lines through every point." In n-dimensional space, the dual would be "there are at least n+1 points on every line."