TThermodynamics-compressed flow in a nozzle equation derivation

In summary, the homework equation states that Astar=rhostar*Vstar/(rho*V). This equation can be used to relate Vstar/V and mach number and specific heat ratio.
luk3tm
Hi everyone!

Homework Statement

Just one part of the lecture notes I couldn't work out how to derrive (apparently we need to know how).

A/A*=1/M[2/(k+1)(1+(k-1)/2*M^2)]^(k+1/2(k-1))

Homework Equations

A/A*=1/M[2/(k+1)(1+(k-1)/2*M^2)]^(k+1/2(k-1))
ρ0/ρ=[1+(k-1/2)*M^2]^(1/k-1)
To/T=1+(k-2/2)*M^2
Po/P=[1+(k-2/2)*M^2]^(k/k-1)
ρ*A*v*=ρAv
M=V/C (mach number)
c=√(KRT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried fiddling around with quite a few things but got nothing.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

rho*A*V = rhostar*Astar*Vstar (continuity)

A/Astar = rhostar*Vstar/(rho*V)

Relate Vstar/V to mach number and specific heat ratio by using supplemental equations below

Relate rhostar/rho to mach number and specific ratio by using supplemental equations below

Supplemental equations:

T0/T =1 + (k-1)/2)M^2

Tstar/T0 = 2/(k+1)

0 subscript denotes stagnation condition

okay so i think I've almost got it but i might be missing out on something:

Vstar/V=Ap/Astar*pstar

substituting in mac number,

Mcstar/Mcr=RHS

substituting C=sqrt(KRT)

gives:

M/Msqrt(KRTstar/KRT)

=sqrt(T*/T)

Tstar/T=Tstar/To*To/T=(1+k-1/2)M*2*2/k+1

and pstar/p=po/p*pstar/po=(2/k+1)^1/(k-1)*(1+k-1/2*M^2)*1/k-1

so back to original equation:

A/Astar=sqrt(Tstar/T)*pstar/p

sqrt((1+k-1/2)M*2*2/k+1)*(2/k+1)^1/(k-1)*(1+k-1/2*M^2)*1/k-1

which doesn't quite give the right answer :(

Derive an expression for Vstar/V that you'll eventually plug into the continuity equation. After substituting Vstar=Cstar=sqrt(kRTstar) and also noting that V=C*M=M*sqrt(kRT) you should arrive at

Vstar/V = (1/M) * sqrt(Tstar/T)

Now write as

Vstar/V = (1/M)*sqrt(Tstar/T0)*sqrt(T0/T)

But Tstar/T0 = 2/(k + 1) and T0/T = 1 + (k-1)*M^2/2

Substitute these in then use a similar tactic for rhostar/rho.

Plug both into continuity equation and simplify. It'll work...

Hello there! I would be happy to provide a response to your question.

Firstly, it's important to note that the equation you have provided is known as the "compressible flow in a nozzle equation". This equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, specifically the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy.

To begin, we can start with the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate through a nozzle is constant. This equation is represented by the term ρ*A*v*, where ρ is the density, A is the area, and v is the velocity. We can also use the ideal gas law, which relates the density, temperature, and pressure of a gas.

Next, we can use the isentropic flow relations, which describe the changes in temperature, pressure, and density of a gas as it flows through a nozzle. These relations are represented by the equations you have provided: ρ0/ρ=[1+(k-1/2)*M^2]^(1/k-1), To/T=1+(k-2/2)*M^2, and Po/P=[1+(k-2/2)*M^2]^(k/k-1).

Finally, we can combine these equations and use the definition of the Mach number (M=V/C) to derive the compressible flow in a nozzle equation: A/A*=1/M[2/(k+1)(1+(k-1)/2*M^2)]^(k+1/2(k-1)). This equation represents the change in area (A/A*) with respect to the Mach number, which is a measure of the gas velocity.

I hope this helps to clarify the derivation of the compressible flow in a nozzle equation. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to TThermodynamics-compressed flow in a nozzle equation derivation

1. What is the equation for compressed flow in a nozzle?

The equation for compressed flow in a nozzle is known as the nozzle equation and it is given by A/A* = (1/M)*(2/(gamma+1)*(1+(gamma-1)/2*M^2))^((gamma+1)/(gamma-1)), where A is the cross-sectional area of the nozzle throat, A* is the exit area, M is the Mach number, and gamma is the ratio of specific heats.

2. How is the nozzle equation derived?

The nozzle equation is derived from the conservation equations of mass, momentum, and energy in thermodynamics. It takes into account the variations in cross-sectional area, flow velocity, and thermodynamic properties along the nozzle length.

3. What is the significance of the nozzle equation?

The nozzle equation is significant as it relates the changes in flow conditions, such as velocity and pressure, to the geometry of the nozzle. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of nozzles in various engineering applications, including rocket engines and gas turbines.

4. What is the role of thermodynamics in compressed flow in a nozzle?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in compressed flow in a nozzle as it deals with the study of energy transformations and their interactions with matter. The nozzle equation takes into account the thermodynamic properties of the fluid, such as specific heat and entropy, to accurately describe the behavior of the flow in the nozzle.

5. Can the nozzle equation be applied to all types of fluids?

Yes, the nozzle equation can be applied to any type of fluid, whether it is compressible or incompressible. However, it is most commonly used for compressible fluids such as gases, as they exhibit significant changes in flow conditions when compressed.