1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turbulence viscocity

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    whats turbulent viscocity?How it different from viscocity?Also i read that viscocity is fluid property.So has flow condition like laminar or turbulent has any effect on viscocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Beats me. Exactly where did you come across this term? BTW, it's "viscosity".

It is.

Just the opposite.

Keep reading about viscosity.

4. Jul 15, 2015 #3
    My senior doing CFD Analysis of a rain water filter..In the report she has given this plot of turbulence viscosity..I dont understand how its different from visosity?

5. Jul 15, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you should ask her.

6. Jul 15, 2015 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turbulent viscosity, or eddy viscosity, arises in the field of turbulence modeling. When you start with the Navier-Stokes equations and perform what is typically called Reynolds averaging, you get a new equation describing the mean velocity profile of a turbulent flow. This new equation looks identical to the standard Navier-Stokes equations except for the addition of a new term with the units of stress, typically called the Reynolds stress.

The Reynolds stresses essentially represent the effect of velocity fluctuations, and therefore turbulent mixing, on the stress in the flow. Boussinesq proposed modeling the Reynolds stress with a new viscosity term that takes the same form as the normal viscous term in the equation so that the Reynolds stress term would be replaced by something a little more intuitive like a new viscosity coefficient that could be combined with the more usual viscosity.

7. Jul 15, 2015 #6
    To add to what Boneh3ad said, unlike the ordinary viscosity, the turbulent viscosity is not a physical property of the fluid. It depends on the intensity of the turbulent fluctuations in the fluid (i.e., the flow).

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook