Turbulent Viscosity: Definition & Effects on Flow

In summary, turbulence viscosity is a term used in turbulence modeling that represents the effect of velocity fluctuations on the stress in a fluid. It is not a physical property of the fluid, and it depends on the intensity of the turbulent fluctuations.
lingesh
whats turbulent viscocity?How it different from viscocity?Also i read that viscocity is fluid property.So has flow condition like laminar or turbulent has any effect on viscocity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
lingesh said:
whats turbulent viscocity?How it different from viscocity?
Beats me. Exactly where did you come across this term? BTW, it's "viscosity".

Also i read that viscocity is fluid property.
It is.

So has flow condition like laminar or turbulent has any effect on viscocity?
Just the opposite.

Keep reading about viscosity.

SteamKing said:
Beats me. Exactly where did you come across this term? BTW, it's "viscosity".It is.Just the opposite.

Keep reading about viscosity.
My senior doing CFD Analysis of a rain water filter..In the report she has given this plot of turbulence viscosity..I don't understand how its different from visosity?

Maybe you should ask her.

Turbulent viscosity, or eddy viscosity, arises in the field of turbulence modeling. When you start with the Navier-Stokes equations and perform what is typically called Reynolds averaging, you get a new equation describing the mean velocity profile of a turbulent flow. This new equation looks identical to the standard Navier-Stokes equations except for the addition of a new term with the units of stress, typically called the Reynolds stress.

The Reynolds stresses essentially represent the effect of velocity fluctuations, and therefore turbulent mixing, on the stress in the flow. Boussinesq proposed modeling the Reynolds stress with a new viscosity term that takes the same form as the normal viscous term in the equation so that the Reynolds stress term would be replaced by something a little more intuitive like a new viscosity coefficient that could be combined with the more usual viscosity.

boneh3ad said:
Turbulent viscosity, or eddy viscosity, arises in the field of turbulence modeling. When you start with the Navier-Stokes equations and perform what is typically called Reynolds averaging, you get a new equation describing the mean velocity profile of a turbulent flow. This new equation looks identical to the standard Navier-Stokes equations except for the addition of a new term with the units of stress, typically called the Reynolds stress.

The Reynolds stresses essentially represent the effect of velocity fluctuations, and therefore turbulent mixing, on the stress in the flow. Boussinesq proposed modeling the Reynolds stress with a new viscosity term that takes the same form as the normal viscous term in the equation so that the Reynolds stress term would be replaced by something a little more intuitive like a new viscosity coefficient that could be combined with the more usual viscosity.
To add to what Boneh3ad said, unlike the ordinary viscosity, the turbulent viscosity is not a physical property of the fluid. It depends on the intensity of the turbulent fluctuations in the fluid (i.e., the flow).

Chet

What is turbulent viscosity?

Turbulent viscosity is a measure of the resistance to flow caused by turbulence in a fluid. It is a property that describes the rate at which energy dissipates due to turbulent fluctuations in the flow.

How is turbulent viscosity defined?

Turbulent viscosity is defined as the ratio of the shear stress in a turbulent flow to the rate of strain. In other words, it is the proportionality constant between the shear stress and the velocity gradient in a turbulent flow.

What are the effects of turbulent viscosity on flow?

Turbulent viscosity has several effects on flow, including increasing the mixing of fluid particles, reducing the momentum of the flow, and increasing the rate of energy dissipation. It also increases the drag force on objects in the flow, making it more difficult for them to move through the fluid.

How is turbulent viscosity different from laminar viscosity?

Turbulent viscosity is a measure of the resistance to flow caused by turbulent fluctuations, while laminar viscosity is a measure of the resistance to flow caused by molecular interactions between fluid particles. Turbulent viscosity is generally higher than laminar viscosity, leading to more chaotic and less predictable flow patterns.

Can turbulent viscosity be controlled or reduced?

Yes, turbulent viscosity can be controlled or reduced by using turbulence-reducing devices such as flow straighteners or by increasing the viscosity of the fluid. Additionally, certain flow conditions, such as lower velocities and smoother surfaces, can also help reduce turbulent viscosity.