Two blocks on a third block which is split into two ramps

In summary: I don't know how to eliminate the two normal forces.In summary, the two small blocks slide down the slope due to a net force that is generated when simultaneously accelerating them horizontally. The large block provides the sliding contour.
burian
Homework Statement
Two cubes of masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## be on two frictionless slopes of block A which rests on a horizontal table. The cubes are connected by string which passes over a pulley as shown in the figure. To what horizontal acceleration f should the whole system ( that is blocks and cubes) be subjected so that the cubes do not slide down the planes. What is the tension of the string in this situation?
Relevant Equations
[tex] N_{m_1} \sin \alpha - T \cos \alpha = m_1 f \\
T \sin \alpha + N_{m_1} \cos \alpha = m_1 g [\tex]
So, for this question first I did a free body diagram in the perpendicular x-y axes, and, I got some equations with the normals, but the answer is independent of normal forces. So, I'm not sure how to eliminate the two normals. Further I find it quite weird that big block-A doesn't come into the picture, why is this? I have attached pics of my work
20200805_231937.jpg
20200805_204203.jpg

20200805_232331.jpg

Free body analysis + Final equation I got boxed in blue+ reference picture

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
burian said:
Homework Statement:: Two cubes of masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## be on two frictionless slopes of block A which rests on a horizontal table.

... Further I find it quite weird that big block-A doesn't come into the picture, why is this?...
There is a net force making those two small blocks naturaly slide down that contour.
Simultaneously accelerating those masses (plus big block A at same rate) horizontally should generate an additional net force that cancells the other one.
Big block A has nothing to do with all that, except going for the ride and providing that sliding countour for our smaler blocks.

I do not understand your FBD. What is that arrow pointing up the slope? The letter written next to it looks like a distorted lower case y.

haruspex said:
I do not understand your FBD. What is that arrow pointing up the slope? The letter written next to it looks like a distorted lower case y.
Oh that's my tension 😂

Lnewqban said:
There is a net force making those two small blocks naturaly slide down that contour.
Simultaneously accelerating those masses (plus big block A at same rate) horizontally should generate an additional net force that cancells the other one.
Big block A has nothing to do with all that, except going for the ride and providing that sliding countour for our smaler blocks.
See this is the part I don't get, why does simultaneously accelerating generate a net force which cancels the force on small blocks?

burian said:
See this is the part I don't get, why does simultaneously accelerating generate a net force which cancels the force on small blocks?
There are two ways of expressing this.
We can use the reference frame of the large block, which means we have a virtual inertial force on each small block going the other way.
Or we can say that in order to produce accelerations that are equal and horizontal on the small blocks we need an acceleration of the large block so as to increase the two normal forces.

Likes Lnewqban
burian said:
@haruspex has explained it better than I could.

Gravity → acceleration of small blocks → ##\vec F_1=(m_1+m_2)~\vec a_1##

Then, we have the question:
To what horizontal acceleration f should the whole system (that is blocks and cubes) be subjected so that the cubes do not slide down the planes?

New horizontal acceleration → Induces new additional force (hopefully of same magnitude and opposite direction, so it cancels the first one) → ##\vec F_2=(m_1+m_2)~\vec a_2##

haruspex said:
There are two ways of expressing this.
We can use the reference frame of the large block, which means we have a virtual inertial force on each small block going the other way.
Or we can say that in order to produce accelerations that are equal and horizontal on the small blocks we need an acceleration of the large block so as to increase the two normal forces.
What is a 'virtual inertial force'? And, how exactly does acceleration increase the normal force?

Lnewqban said:
@haruspex has explained it better than I could.

Gravity → acceleration of small blocks → ##\vec F_1=(m_1+m_2)~\vec a_1##

Then, we have the question:
To what horizontal acceleration f should the whole system (that is blocks and cubes) be subjected so that the cubes do not slide down the planes?

New horizontal acceleration → Induces new additional force (hopefully of same magnitude and opposite direction, so it cancels the first one) → ##\vec F_2=(m_1+m_2)~\vec a_2##
For this part, how do I finish the problem with equations I have ..or are they wrong? I get an equation relating the pseudo force stuff and normal force which big block applies on the two little blocks

1. How do the two blocks stay on the third block?

The two blocks stay on the third block through the force of friction between the surfaces of the blocks and the ramp. As long as the friction force is greater than the force of gravity pulling the blocks down, they will remain in place.

2. What happens if one of the blocks is heavier than the other?

If one of the blocks is heavier than the other, the force of gravity pulling it down will be greater. This could cause the heavier block to slide down the ramp, potentially causing the other block to slide as well if the friction force is not strong enough to hold it in place.

3. How does the angle of the ramps affect the movement of the blocks?

The angle of the ramps determines the steepness of the incline and therefore the force of gravity pulling the blocks down. A steeper angle will result in a greater force of gravity and potentially cause the blocks to slide down the ramp.

4. Can the blocks be moved up and down the ramps?

Yes, the blocks can be moved up and down the ramps by applying a force greater than the force of friction. This could be done by pushing or pulling the blocks or by changing the angle of the ramps.

5. What is the purpose of having two blocks on a third block with two ramps?

The purpose of having two blocks on a third block with two ramps is to demonstrate the effects of friction and gravity on objects on an inclined plane. It can also be used to study the concept of equilibrium and how forces balance each other out to keep the blocks in place.