What is the Tension in a Two-Block System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight and tension of two blocks on a table and a hanging block, assuming a massless pulley and no friction. The resultant downward force on the hanging block is equal to the difference between its weight and the tension in the string, while the resultant force on the block on the table is equal to the tension in the string. The acceleration of the system is calculated using the equation 22.4a+Ma=220, and the tension is determined by multiplying the mass of the 452N block by the calculated acceleration.
spidey12
Whoops, I know i made another post but i didnt realize i have another question that i left blank:

The weight of the block on a table is 452 N and that of the hanging block is 220 N. Ignore all frictional effects, and assuming the pulley to be massless.

What is Acceleration of the two blocks?

What is the tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what i did was i tried to isolate the two Ns and i got separate masses.

Then i did this: (452-220)/(46.1+22.4)

but that was wrong.

Assuming downward motion.

What is the resultant downward force on the hanging block?

and what would be the resultant force on the block on the table?

rock.freak667 said:
Assuming downward motion.

What is the resultant downward force on the hanging block?

and what would be the resultant force on the block on the table?

Is the force in the downward position simply 220 N?

spidey12 said:
Is the force in the downward position simply 220 N?

There is tension,T, in the string acting upward. So the resultant downward force = (220-T)N

and if that block moves down, how does the other block move and what would be the resultant force on it?

rock.freak667 said:
There is tension,T, in the string acting upward. So the resultant downward force = (220-T)N

and if that block moves down, how does the other block move and what would be the resultant force on it?

if one block moves down the other moves to the left. the acceleration has to be the same since its a closed system. So the downward force is ma=220-T? what is "m"?

spidey12 said:
if one block moves down the other moves to the left.
Yes

spidey12 said:
the acceleration has to be the same since its a closed system.
Correct
spidey12 said:
So the downward force is ma=220-T? what is "m"?

m is the mass of the 220N block. Depending on what you take 'g'. (W=mg)

rock.freak667 said:
YesCorrect
m is the mass of the 220N block. Depending on what you take 'g'. (W=mg)
Ok. So now what?

22.4a=220-T?

I don't know a or T

spidey12 said:
Ok. So now what?

22.4a=220-T?

I don't know a or T

The other block moves to the left making Ma=T (where M is the mass of the 452N block)

So the correct equation is 22.4a=220-(ma of the other block)?

I'm getting so confused.

Ok os i reworked the problem and i got 3.39 as the acceleration is this correct?

spidey12 said:
So the correct equation is 22.4a=220-(ma of the other block)?

I'm getting so confused.

Take one block at a time.

We know for the hanging one it's 22.4a=220-T

Now since the one on the table moves to the left and the only force on it is the tension,T, then the resultant force is Ma=T where M=mass of the 452N block.

solving them will give

22.4a=220-Ma

22.4a+Ma=220. Find a.

spidey12 said:
Ok os i reworked the problem and i got 3.39 as the acceleration is this correct?

It is somewhere around 3, I got 3.21 using g=9.81 but I kinda did it in my head so it might be a bit off.

so the tension in the cord is simply the accelration of the system times the mass of the 452 N block?

3.39 was incorrect. I have 10 minutes left to submit this and no luck whatsoever :(

3.21 was correct, now the tension: T=mass of the 452 block * 3.21?

spidey12 said:
3.21 was correct, now the tension: T=mass of the 452 block * 3.21?

Yep.

1. What is the concept of "Two blocks, one is hanging"?

The concept of "Two blocks, one is hanging" refers to a physics problem where two blocks are connected by a string or rope, with one block suspended in the air while the other rests on a surface. The problem involves calculating the forces acting on each block and determining their acceleration and movement.

2. How do you solve a "Two blocks, one is hanging" problem?

To solve a "Two blocks, one is hanging" problem, you will need to use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium. First, draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on each block. Then, set up equations using Newton's second law for each block and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the common assumptions made in a "Two blocks, one is hanging" problem?

The common assumptions made in a "Two blocks, one is hanging" problem are that the string or rope connecting the blocks is massless and the pulley or support point is frictionless. Additionally, the blocks are assumed to be rigid bodies and there are no external forces acting on them.

4. How does the weight of the hanging block affect the problem?

The weight of the hanging block affects the problem by adding a downward force on the string, which in turn creates tension in the string. This tension force is then used in equations to determine the acceleration and movement of the blocks. The weight of the hanging block also affects the overall mass of the system, which can impact the acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of a "Two blocks, one is hanging" problem?

A "Two blocks, one is hanging" problem can be found in various real-life situations, such as a construction crane lifting materials, a person pulling a wagon with a rope, or a weight suspended from a ceiling. It can also be used to analyze the forces involved in a simple pulley system or a block sliding down an inclined plane.